Advise on amp to drive (4) JBL MRX518s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rizzo06

rizzo06
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

What is the best amp(s) to drive (4) JBL MRX518s?  The goal is to keep it light as possible, least amount of physical amps to carry around (I am mobile DJ).

Pros and cons for (1) amp, (2) subs / channel, (2) amps, (1) sub on each channel.

Thx!

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE(rizzo06 @ Mar 26 2012, 12:21 PM) View Post
What is the best amp(s) to drive (4) JBL MRX518s?  The goal is to keep it light as possible, least amount of physical amps to carry around (I am mobile DJ).

Pros and cons for (1) amp, (2) subs / channel, (2) amps, (1) sub on each channel.

Thx!

Hello and welcome,
Well, nowadays crown only makes light weight heavy duty amps. One amp will be lighter then two but less durable, if it goas, your fallback would be oparating the tops as full range. If it's acceptable for you then I would suggest one used i-Tech 8000 for all the subs or if you want to go new then i-Tech 12000 or even the 9000 would do a great job.

If that fallback is not acceptable and you need more reliability then a couple of i-Tech4000/5000 are a great match for these subs.

I wouldn't recommend XTIs for sub duty due to sonic and overheating issues. They will be just as reliable.

What do you use for processing? If you plan to use the internal DSP, then the newer i-techs (HDs) have a slight edge over the older ones.

One more option that I don't know about from actual usage is the i-Tech 4x3500, looks very promising for a great value but if it were me I'd let them get rid of all the bugs that are caracturistic of new products before I decide to buy one.

#3 rizzo06

rizzo06
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hey Dakos,

Thx for the response.  I currently have 2 XTI 4000, 1 QSC 3602.  After reading thru a few posts, I sense you are not a fan of the XTI series.

For processing, I will use either the internal DSP via Band Manager/System Architect or a Driverack PA.

RV

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(rizzo06 @ Mar 27 2012, 06:44 AM) View Post
Hey Dakos,

Thx for the response.  I currently have 2 XTI 4000, 1 QSC 3602.  After reading thru a few posts, I sense you are not a fan of the XTI series.

For processing, I will use either the internal DSP via Band Manager/System Architect or a Driverack PA.

RV

Ohh, sorry if you got that impression aspecially since it's wrong... I'm a great fan of the XTI family amps and am using them on a regular basis, but every tool in our sonic toolbox has it's limitations and one of the XTIs limitations is sub duty, it will work, it is very reliable, but if you want the subs to sound their best, and you have great subs, you need a more sub duty oriented kind of amp.

The XTI family is a great amp for tops/monitor duty or low power full range rigs, they give great value for their price, great DSP with lots of features, you can use SA for configuration and monitoring and lots more.

As for the 3602, it's a bit better but still not it.

As for processing, since making allot (more then one) A/D D/A conversions is not recommended at 48khz, and since you can't really turn off the DSP on the XTI, I suggest you use the built in DSP for processing and use the DRPA for the amps that don't have an internal DSP like the 3602.

#5 rizzo06

rizzo06
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

NP

Not familiar with the term DRPA.  Please explain.  Also, will look into your previous recommendations and trade/sell the XTIs/QSC for a preferred sub amp.

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(rizzo06 @ Mar 27 2012, 07:59 AM) View Post
NP

Not familiar with the term DRPA.  Please explain.  Also, will look into your previous recommendations and trade/sell the XTIs/QSC for a preferred sub amp.

DRPA = DriveRack PA

When I recomended the itechs, I mistakingly assumed you didn't have any amps to use on the subs. You should try connecting everything and listening to the rig as it is now, only if the results don't please you then an upgrade is needed. You've got nothing to loose just a bit of labor time.