So it's Time To Replace The Old HDH-4's (they've been good dogs, sorta')

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lancester

Lancester
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

But it's time for them to go. I'm going to go with (8) JBL SRX-722's. (4) per side. I aready have (4) SRX 728's (two per side) each pair powered by an I-tech 6000. Yes, I need to stay with a ground stack system for the type of work I do, rodeo arena's & Indian Pow wow's. Can't go line array.
I currently have two XTI-2000's that I'm planning on using to power the high section, maybe a bit much, but I already own them. I'm looking for some suggestions for powering the mid sections. Two amps, 2 ohm load per channel. I'm currently leaning toward a pair of XTI 6002's. Thoughts?

p.s., yes this will be stereo tri-amp

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE(Lancester @ Feb 26 2012, 11:55 PM) View Post
But it's time for them to go. I'm going to go with (8) JBL SRX-722's. (4) per side. I aready have (4) SRX 728's (two per side) each pair powered by an I-tech 6000. Yes, I need to stay with a ground stack system for the type of work I do, rodeo arena's & Indian Pow wow's. Can't go line array.
I currently have two XTI-2000's that I'm planning on using to power the high section, maybe a bit much, but I already own them. I'm looking for some suggestions for powering the mid sections. Two amps, 2 ohm load per channel. I'm currently leaning toward a pair of XTI 6002's. Thoughts?

Do you already own the 722's? How will you be using those 722's? do you need more SPL or you use so many just for extra coverage?

What processing do you have?

#3 Lancester

Lancester
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 27 2012, 12:10 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Lancester @ Feb 26 2012, 11:55 PM) View Post

Do you already own the 722's? How will you be using those 722's? do you need more SPL or you use so many just for extra coverage?

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Did you mean to write something?

#5 Lancester

Lancester
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Not quite sure what happened there. No, haven't bought the 722's yet. 6 would fill my needs, but I've yet to figure out how I'd poweer up 3 per side. I have to use two amp racks, one behind each stack. Twice a year I do work in a large rodeo arena where I need at least three to splay & get good coverage. One of the gigs is a demolition derby requiring a very high spl.  A side benefeit to 4 would be that I could split this system into two smaller, still stereo systems.....

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE(Lancester @ Feb 27 2012, 09:15 PM) View Post
Not quite sure what happened there. No, haven't bought the 722's yet. 6 would fill my needs, but I've yet to figure out how I'd poweer up 3 per side. I have to use two amp racks, one behind each stack. Twice a year I do work in a large rodeo arena where I need at least three to splay & get good coverage. One of the gigs is a demolition derby requiring a very high spl.  A side benefeit to 4 would be that I could split this system into two smaller, still stereo systems.....

Three per side is definitely not a problem. If you need more SPL then what one speaker can give then you need bigger speakers, you can use more speakers per side only to get more coverage NOT more SPL. How much SPL do you need at what distance from the speakers?

If you use one amp cab per side then you would need at least two amps per cabinet for tri amp system also in order to split it into two smaller biamp systems, for this operation I would suggest you get one more iT6000.

But my suggestion to you is, don't work with two amp racks, only one big amp rack, get another iT8000 (it's almost the same price as a new XTI6002) for all the subs, configure the sub amp in dual mono, put all the subs together (will give an SPL boost), use the thickest speaker cables you can find (10 awg per speaker), put all the mids on the iT6000, and the highes on the XTI2000.

If you need more SPL then the 725 will give you a little over the 722, some would say they even sound better.

You have an unbeatable system.