• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ampmusic

Ampmusic
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi
Currently using a set of Tannoy Speakers (Power V8's and VS10BP) - special modification, both are passive and have a crossover built  into the V8's. Not sure what settings to use on the amp. Any ideas?
Let me know if you need any specs or cant find info you need
Thanks

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(Ampmusic @ Feb 25 2012, 08:29 AM) View Post
Hi
Currently using a set of Tannoy Speakers (Power V8's and VS10BP) - special modification, both are passive and have a crossover built  into the V8's. Not sure what settings to use on the amp. Any ideas?
Thanks

Do you have only one amp? what processor/external crossover do you have?

#3 Ampmusic

Ampmusic
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 25 2012, 08:22 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Ampmusic @ Feb 25 2012, 08:29 AM) View Post
Hi
Thanks

Do you have only one amp? what processor/external crossover do you have?

Hi
Sorry for the delay. yes i only have one amp, and the Crossovers are inside the V8's which link to the Subs and then to the amp.

Cheers

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Do you mean crossover/EQ/limiter settings?
I don't think you need any.

#5 Ampmusic

Ampmusic
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 28 2012, 08:07 PM) View Post
Do you mean crossover/EQ/limiter settings?
I don't think you need any.

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I meant firstly would i not need to be in crossover mode? if not high pass or low pass mode?  and secondly what 24dB/octave filter point should i be on. If none of these what should it be set at?

Thanks

#6 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Your subs have a band pass type of enclosure, that means you will not hear them distorting on their way to the grave from over power, so you mustn't pass the power recommendations, it's good that with the XLS2000 you don't.

The only configuration worth looking into is a high pass filter to protect the subs, a good starting point is at the -3dB, usually using 24dB/octave but since the fall off of the frequency response of the subs is very steep, I would start using 48dB/octave slope at the -3dB point (39Hz).

You might want to leave the limiter ON.

Is that what you meant?

#7 Ampmusic

Ampmusic
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 29 2012, 08:26 PM) View Post
Your subs have a band pass type of enclosure, that means you will not hear them distorting on their way to the grave from over power, so you mustn't pass the power recommendations, it's good that with the XLS2000 you don't.

The only configuration worth looking into is a high pass filter to protect the subs, a good starting point is at the -3dB, usually using 24dB/octave but since the fall off of the frequency response of the subs is very steep, I would start using 48dB/octave slope at the -3dB point (39Hz).

Is that what you meant?

Hi again and thanks for the the info.
I suppose its the top boxes i want to protect really from high frequencies and power. im not very knowledgeable on the real techy side of amps.

Thanks

#8 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE(Ampmusic @ Mar 2 2012, 05:37 AM) View Post

Is that what you meant?

I suppose its the top boxes i want to protect really from high frequencies and power. im not very knowledgeable on the real techy side of amps.

Thanks
Since you're using passive crossover and one amp you can't separate only the top boxes, just don't go over the recommended power, keep your ears open for destotion and you'll be fine.

#9 Ampmusic

Ampmusic
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Mar 2 2012, 11:11 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Ampmusic @ Mar 2 2012, 05:37 AM) View Post

Is that what you meant?

Thanks
Since you're using passive crossover and one amp you can't separate only the top boxes, just don't go over the recommended power, keep your ears open for destotion and you'll be fine.

Cheers
Many thanks for your help dakos. Wil try this out when i get a chance