Which Amp is best for my Bose 502BP?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 powermixx

powermixx
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

I have a Bose 502BP Bass Module that I need an amplifier for. I like Crown amps and am looking for advice on which amp would be best for my situation. I'm a mobile DJ.
Here's the specs on the Bose Bass Module:
http://pro.bose.com/pdf/pro/tech_data/pana...naray_502bp.pdf

I purchased a Crown K2 Amp for the 802's years ago and love it, never a problem!

Thank you!

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE(powermixx @ Feb 16 2012, 02:34 PM) View Post
I have a Bose 502BP Bass Module that I need an amplifier for. I like Crown amps and am looking for advice on which amp would be best for my situation. I'm a mobile DJ.

I purchased a Crown K2 Amp for the 802's years ago and love it, never a problem!

Thank you!

Please list all your gear... Tops, amps, processing... Also what kind of music do you play.

#3 powermixx

powermixx
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 16 2012, 02:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(powermixx @ Feb 16 2012, 02:34 PM) View Post

Thank you!

Please list all your gear... Tops, amps, processing... Also what kind of music do you play.

Thank you for the reply. As I mentioned, I'm using the Crown K2 for the (2) Bose 802's that I run with this bass module. Minimal processing - the processor required for the Bose stuff, a BBE, that's about it. As far as music - being a mobile DJ, I literally play everything. I DJ weddings, corporate functions, school dances. Numerous genres of music. Sometimes it's new wave or  piano music for a wedding, other times hip-hop, RnB & Dance for a middle school dance.

Thank you!

#4 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

You didn't specify what kind of BBE, is it one of the newer speaker managment units or just a sound enhancment unit?

The Bose system you have is not very demanding when looking for an amp, your cheapest way is to convert your K2 to sub duty and buy another K1 for the 802's. You will need to add a crossover for this combo.

A more updated option would be to use the XTI family of amps for that. The 1002 is good for your tops and the 2002 bridged for the sub. No need to add a crossover for this combo, it's all in the DSP.

You could go even higher to the I-Tech family but that would be serious overkill not worth the marginal sound benefit.

#5 powermixx

powermixx
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 16 2012, 03:36 PM) View Post
You didn't specify what kind of BBE, is it one of the newer speaker managment units or just a sound enhancment unit?

The Bose system you have is not very demanding when looking for an amp, your cheapest way is to convert your K2 to sub duty and buy another K1 for the 802's. You will need to add a crossover for this combo.

A more updated option would be to use the XTI family of amps for that. The 1002 is good for your tops and the 2002 bridged for the sub. No need to add a crossover for this combo, it's all in the DSP.

You could go even higher to the I-Tech family but that would be serious overkill not worth the marginal sound benefit.

Thank you for the reply! Sorry about that. It's a BBE 882i I believe. Single space rack mounted.
I had a speaker repair shop tell me the K2 is way overpowered for the 502BP. I did use the K2 (bridged) for a few months. And that's why I visted the speaker repair shop! smile.gif Had it re-coned.
And the Bose controller is acting like the crossover isn't it?
As far as the other suggestions you gave, I appreciate it. I'll check them out!

I've been using the K2 for the 802's for years with no problems. And I plan to continue using that config. I'm just lost with what my best option is for the 502BP. But you've given me help with suggestions. Thank you!

EDIT:
What wattage do you suggst for the XTI 2002?

#6 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'd suggest the Crown XLS 1500, which will give 1050 watts bridged on the 8 ohms load of the Bose bass module.  Those are lightweight and cheap.

About any amp about 1000 watts would be OK.

#7 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE(powermixx @ Feb 17 2012, 09:14 AM) View Post

Thank you for the reply! Sorry about that. It's a BBE 882i I believe. Single space rack mounted.
I had a speaker repair shop tell me the K2 is way overpowered for the 502BP. I did use the K2 (bridged) for a few months. And that's why I visted the speaker repair shop! smile.gif Had it re-coned.

I've been using the K2 for the 802's for years with no problems. And I plan to continue using that config. I'm just lost with what my best option is for the 502BP. But you've given me help with suggestions. Thank you!

EDIT:

I didn't understand your last XTI 2002 question...

I had a chance to go over the manuals of your system and it looks like there are a few Bose Controllers, the simple ones are just smart EQ's and the more suphisticated ones are smarter EQ's + crossovers, you probably have the second one, correct?

The 502 has a band pass type of enclosure so overpowering it will tear up the speaker without the distorstion sound that front firing woofers make, that sound doesn't get out of the cabinet, so if the K2 is too much for the sub (1500W) then may be put the K1 on the sub (1100W)? it's the cheapest option...

As for my XTI suggestion, on second thought I now think you need the 2002 model for the 802's, and another XTI 2002 for the sub. There are a few versions of the manuals for the 802's and some say that they have a maximum continuous power of 240W and others say that the recomended power is 240-960W so now my working assumption is that the RMS/continuous wattage is 240W, Program music power is 480W and peak wattage is 960W. As for the 502, either use the 1002 (1000W) or the 2002 (1600W) and use the internal limiter to protect your sub.

One more thing, I think only one woofer might be too little for the 802's but I'm not femiliar with Bose at all, that's just from reading the specs.

#8 powermixx

powermixx
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 18 2012, 05:40 AM) View Post
QUOTE(powermixx @ Feb 17 2012, 09:14 AM) View Post

EDIT:

I didn't understand your last XTI 2002 question...

I had a chance to go over the manuals of your system and it looks like there are a few Bose Controllers, the simple ones are just smart EQ's and the more suphisticated ones are smarter EQ's + crossovers, you probably have the second one, correct?

The 502 has a band pass type of enclosure so overpowering it will tear up the speaker without the distorstion sound that front firing woofers make, that sound doesn't get out of the cabinet, so if the K2 is too much for the sub (1500W) then may be put the K1 on the sub (1100W)? it's the cheapest option...

As for my XTI suggestion, on second thought I now think you need the 2002 model for the 802's, and another XTI 2002 for the sub. There are a few versions of the manuals for the 802's and some say that they have a maximum continuous power of 240W and others say that the recomended power is 240-960W so now my working assumption is that the RMS/continuous wattage is 240W, Program music power is 480W and peak wattage is 960W. As for the 502, either use the 1002 (1000W) or the 2002 (1600W) and use the internal limiter to protect your sub.

One more thing, I think only one woofer might be too little for the 802's but I'm not femiliar with Bose at all, that's just from reading the specs.

dakos,
You certainly know your stuff. To answer your questions,
Yes, the controller I have has the crossover built in. There's a separate XLR out to the sub.

Good advice! And yes, I do have another sub - not Bose. It's a powered 1801N.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/76-15230D-LS-SPKRS.pdf

#9 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE(powermixx @ Feb 20 2012, 07:21 AM) View Post
dakos,
Yes, the controller I have has the crossover built in. There's a separate XLR out to the sub.

And what do you use to power the Carvin sub? are you using the Bose controller for it as well or you have a separate crossover for it?

When you reconed the 502, did you use a new original woofer? fixed the torn parts of the woofer? or did you get a replacement woofer from some other brand that "matches" the specs of the older woofer?

I seriously recommend AGAINST running different subs in the same system, because every sub has its own frequency response, if you run different subs together, you will end up getting amplifications in some frequencies and cancellation on other frequencies which means a system that 99 out of 100 will sound terrible and 1 out of 100 will sound just OK.

Please specify ALL your gear...

#10 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'll second this.  Bose use particular technologies and won't match well with other equipment.  If you decide to use the active Carvin sub anyway, be sure to NOT feed it from the Sub Out on the Bose controler as this output most probably have proprietary equalization/filtering applied to the signal and won't sound good on the Carvin sub.

#11 powermixx

powermixx
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(dakos @ Feb 20 2012, 07:54 AM) View Post
QUOTE(powermixx @ Feb 20 2012, 07:21 AM) View Post
dakos,

And what do you use to power the Carvin sub? are you using the Bose controller for it as well or you have a separate crossover for it?

When you reconed the 502, did you use a new original woofer? fixed the torn parts of the woofer? or did you get a replacement woofer from some other brand that "matches" the specs of the older woofer?

I seriously recommend AGAINST running different subs in the same system, because every sub has its own frequency response, if you run different subs together, you will end up getting amplifications in some frequencies and cancellation on other frequencies which means a system that 99 out of 100 will sound terrible and 1 out of 100 will sound just OK.

Please specify ALL your gear...

The Carvin Sub is self-powered. Signal comes from the mixer "Booth Out". Not exactly how I'd like to do it, but it works, sounds good. It's not part of the Bose controller.

As far as the Bose 502BP, it was repaired - replaced with other brand - matched specs. I'm pleased with the repair.

And I agree, I would prefer to not mix different manufacturers of speakers, but it's what I have at the time. sad.gif
I'm leaning towards the XLS 2002. Has a little more than what I need for the 502BP, but I think it'll be a good fit.