XTI 1000 VS ROTEL RB1070

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Piero

Piero
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hello I have compared my Crown XTI 1000 alongside my ROTEL RB 1070 hifi amp using the same preamp Nad 1000S, the same mixer Soundcraft M12 and even using other others home made preamps etc.. the same couple of speakers, same music, same songs etc…. the Rotel appear to have little bit more power to my ears …how is this possible if on the specs the Rotel RB1070 has just 125 Watts per channel compared to 275 watts per channel of the Crown?  Are the Hifi amps better builded? Maybe the internal power supply can delivery more current or what? Comments? Explanations? Ideas?  rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif

#2 Deromax

Deromax

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

I bet it's related to gain.  The home amps may have more gain, so will sound louder at the same preamp volume position.  And basic psychoacoustic tell us that louder = better.

Turn the volume knob higher when using the Crown and I guess it sounds most the same as the Rotel.

To make a precise comparaison of the two amps, you should calibrate the system for each listening, using a test tone and an SPL meter to have the same gain.  Leveling "by ear" won't be precise enough and will skew the results.

#3 Piero

Piero
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(Deromax @ Feb 5 2012, 01:47 PM)  
I bet it's related to gain.  The home amps may have more gain, so will sound louder at the same preamp volume position.  And basic psychoacoustic tell us that louder = better.

Turn the volume knob higher when using the Crown and I guess it sounds most the same as the Rotel.

To make a precise comparaison of the two amps, you should calibrate the system for each listening, using a test tone and an SPL meter to have the same gain.  Leveling "by ear" won't be precise enough and will skew the results.

Deromax I agree with you Crown XTI 1000 is a nice amp  rolleyes.gif I like the sound and it's features ....but Rotel sounds better as sound quality and seems to have more power especially at low frequency .... if  we lived close I could show you the differences ....  rolleyes.gif