XTi-2000 amps shutdown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 showprosvc

showprosvc
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

i have 4 XTi-2000 power amps that will just shutdown for no reason. at times they will shutdown with no signal going to them and sometimes they will shutdown during a performance. they will do this without warning. each amp is used to run a dual 18" sub in 4 ohms bridged sub mode. these amps have been replaced once by crown already for this problem and i am still having the same problems. i have talked to my audio supplier about this problem and they have informed me that i will have to contact Crown because they will no longer sell this product due to the amount of problems that they have had with them. i have also talked to the crown rep's and they act as if i am making this problem up. so what do i have to do to get this problem resolved?????

#2 starstreams

starstreams
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(showprosvc @ Jan 7 2012, 08:51 PM) View Post
i have 4 XTi-2000 power amps that will just shutdown for no reason. at times they will shutdown with no signal going to them and sometimes they will shutdown during a performance. they will do this without warning. each amp is used to run a dual 18" sub in 4 ohms bridged sub mode. these amps have been replaced once by crown already for this problem and i am still having the same problems. i have talked to my audio supplier about this problem and they have informed me that i will have to contact Crown because they will no longer sell this product due to the amount of problems that they have had with them. i have also talked to the crown rep's and they act as if i am making this problem up. so what do i have to do to get this problem resolved?????

Sorry to hear about your issue showprosvc.
You posted this in Jan and it's now March 4th, did anything get resolved?

I love all the responses around here.. Not one on this subject in 3 months? Give me a break.
From some of the complaints I'm seeing across the boards about XTi v1000 ,2000, 3000 and so on, I'm starting to think people were right when they said Crown.. or is it Harman now who's responsible for this junk.
Now I own an XTi2 and it's looking like they used the same amp with a few things added. The software is malfunctioning. (Hello) Do people at Crown even care about what they're making anymore or who's writing their software?  Everything is disposable these days, it's no wonder we have a recycling problem in the world.
My Peavey amp is 35 years old and still runs strong. I wish I could say that about, Amps, Network routers, ..and the Ice cream today just isn't as good.

#3 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

How old are these amps? When you say "the amps shutdown", do the amps shut down on power or are you losing sound? Do the amps go into protect mode? When it shuts down what happens to the display? Are there displayed messages? Do you hear the amps clicking (relays) on and off?

Starstream: What iare your issues with the software? I haven't had any issues with the newer series; Please explain. Have you had the latest firmware updated (use SA, people, not Band Manager, for the newer series '02!)

joust

#4 starstreams

starstreams
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(joust @ Mar 12 2012, 09:51 AM) View Post
Starstream: What iare your issues with the software? I haven't had any issues with the newer series; Please explain. Have you had the latest firmware updated (use SA, people, not Band Manager, for the newer series '02!)

Hello joust
I have an explanation here. Keven at Crown contacted HiQnet after I spoke with him and confirmed that there is an issue. Also What do you mean don't use Band manager? I've been told by two techs at Crown that it's made for the XTi2 series amps. It's just a liter version than the Architect. Bandmanager is not for earlier XTi amps however.

Anyway, here is what Keven at Crown said:
Here are the answers I have so far:

- For the error "The device info files are not being installed" Band Manager is a smaller version of System Architect which requires these files. The programmers left this call in the programming inadvertently when updating v1.0 to 2.0 and they are not required in either version. They will be updating the installer to add these, and Have verified that the warnings will go away.

-For the USB connectivity errors, they recommend that the USB is connected before powering up the device (and reboot the device if the USB is ever disconnected).

Also, I don't know if this is normal, when I turn the fan on manually, even on low speed it has a funny sound. It might be the kind of fan it is. It's not a smooth air sound like my computer fans. Again, that might just be the type of bearings it uses. I don't know what to think about the new crown. The amp sounds great but now that Harman came in and bought all the best players, they're making stuff in China. I might not have even bought this if I had known about that. That's not the say that the quality is not there. But from everything else I've seen in the USA coming from China, Quality is not the first thing that comes to mind. It's really sad.

#5 joust

joust

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

In regards to BM, you are correct! Though, you have to use the newer version of BM V2.0 with the '02 serie. BM V1.0 can handle only the '00 serie.