• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Irie927

Irie927
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi,
I've been using a friend's DJ gear for years and finally started putting together my own gear.  Picked up a pair of JBL SR4725As and am wondering what the best Crown amp is to use with these for mobile DJ applications?  Power Capacity of each speaker is 600W Continuous Pink Noise, 8 ohms.  Any suggestions would be helpful as I've having a tough time comparing.  Elsewhere on the Crown website, I saw that the amp wattage should be 1.6 to 2.5 times the speakers wattage.  So, I should be looking at around 1000-1500 watts per channel on an amp?
Thanks,
-Eric

#2 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

View PostIrie927, on 30 November 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

Hi,
I've been using a friend's DJ gear for years and finally started putting together my own gear.  Picked up a pair of JBL SR4725As and am wondering what the best Crown amp is to use with these for mobile DJ applications?  Power Capacity of each speaker is 600W Continuous Pink Noise, 8 ohms.  Any suggestions would be helpful as I've having a tough time comparing.  Elsewhere on the Crown website, I saw that the amp wattage should be 1.6 to 2.5 times the speakers wattage.  So, I should be looking at around 1000-1500 watts per channel on an amp?
Thanks,
-Eric

Hey Eric,
The numbers you quoted "1.6 to 2.5" represent the amp headroom needed, they vary with type of music played (how compressed the music is, more compressed=less headroom needed), speakers powered (subs need more headroom then tops) and amp type (to simplify things its cheap Vs expensive), speakers have headroom built into them, amplifiers have variable degree of headroom built in, the i-tech/MA-i have allot of headroom built in Vs the XTI family that has little amp headroom built in. So if you are looking for the "best" amp and you have the budget we all want, you can get any of the i-tech/MA-i amps, any one of them will do.

Note that for the MA-i you need extra external processing such as DRPA/PX/PA+/etc... unless you're running them as full range.

Now for a more budget oriented decision, if we want a budget amp, with less headroom, you need a bigger multiplier, for an amp with bigger headroom you need a smaller multiplier.

You're a DJ so the music is quite compressed, do you use the speakers for tops or full range?

The speakers are 600W continuous and the XTI 4002 will give you 1200W per channel @4 ohm plus the small built in headroom, that's a pretty good match. you will need to limit the amp to match the speakers power rating.
Hope I helped