Mrx 518 and xti4000

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr. Lonestar

Mr. Lonestar
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

My band currently runs 2 sp5s with a xti4000 in stereo and 2 mrx518 with xti4000 in stereo.  We have not been able to get the thump that we would like.  This weekend we had a new sound guy setup our system.  He ran the pair of mrx518 in bridged mono with the xti4000 not realizing they are 4 ohm cabs (assumed they were 8).  The combo performed well and produced the thump we were looking for.  After the show I started researching and realized the mistake (I assumed they were 8 ohm also).  Has anybody done this before and what potential harm did we do.  Also what can we do to the system to get more thump?  Thanks

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Impressive!  This is sort of like redlining an engine.  It wasn't designed for that, but if everything is just right it might work just fine indefinitely.  It will most likely shorten the life of the output stages because they will be cranking out maximum current at almost all times.

Thump = power, so the best thing you could do (for cheap) would be to substitute two small amps and run each in bridge-mono (e.g., two XLS1500's).

Another thing to try would be to highpass the MRX's and put in an EQ bump at 50-60Hz. Some music sounds thumpier that way, but other stuff will sound anemic.