xls 802 problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DVSdrums

DVSdrums
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

My friend and I each own a xls802 for about 14 months. We were doing a gig at a huge outdoor event.  We were each using our power amps in seperate applications when after 15 minutes or so his was pouring out smoke, then 15 minutes later mine did the exact same thing. We replaced them with backup power amps we had. My question is how come everything else worked fine except the 2 Crown xls802's. Not a problem with any other equipment!  Any ideas, this was very frustrating.  Thanks, Dan

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hard to say. These amps don't like to run 2-ohm / 4-ohm bridged loads.  There are also some undersized capacitors in the design, not usually prone to fail, but this is a complete guess.  We'd have to see the units.

#3 DVSdrums

DVSdrums
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

when I have it repaired are they going to use the same size capictors. My friend opened his up and said 2 of them blew. he said the same, that he thought they weren't big enough. I just want this amp to be reliabe. If they put in same capacitoer that blew I'd worry it would happen again.   Dan

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

If you use a Crown authorized service center, they will handle it appropriately.

#5 knotter77

knotter77
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

i have a question in regards to possibly buying a amp its a XLS802, the GREEN LEDS stay lit at power up regardless if there is xlr input is connected or not.. is this normal operation?

i turned power on blue power light lit

looks like the yellow protection light comes on for a couple of seconds that turns off , but the green leds just stay lit  .. normal or what you all think??

#6 wayward91

wayward91
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hello, I am in the process of repairing an xls802d that has most likely got some blown output devices. I will go ahead with the repair if I deem it economical. Just out of curiosity what are the under rated capacitors so I can replace them with higher value ones, the recommended new values would be good.
Regarding the green lights I’m not too sure to be honest. Mines bust anyway. I shouldn’t think they should be on as they indicate a signal presence how they can do that if they’re already lit up.

cheers