XLS2500 Gain Controls

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 John S Arkansas

John S Arkansas
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:17 PM

Using 3 XLS2500 amps each in bridge mode driving a single speaker each (4-ohms each).  Two are Peavey SP4 mains and a single EV TX2181 sub.

I recently blew the horns on the SP4 and had to have them replaced.  All speakers are rated at 1000W (continuous), 2KW (program), and 4KW (peak).  In this configuration the XLS2500's will deliver 2.4KW to each enclosure at max power.  Looking for some rules of thumb to reduce the gain controls on these amps sufficiently to make sure they are properly matched and won't blow anything else.  However, the gain controls do not contain a dB gradient so I can't tell exactly how far down to set them.  Right now i'm setting them to MAX minus "7 clicks".  Not very precise but so far so good.  Using a Yamaha analog board to drive them, through a DBX driverack.

Thanks,
John

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

The amp is sized correctly.  It may be that there was too much high-frequency content for an event.  This could be from over-EQ or frequent clipping in some source or component, including the amp.

The amp can put out full power in ANY knob setting.  The key is to keep your mixer at a fairly hot signal level without clipping, turn the knobs up on the amp only as far as you need them to be, and make sure you're not clipping the amp frequently.