IC150 Volume Pot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dsrance

dsrance
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

Forgive me for asking, but I've emailed the spares dept twice in recent days and not had a reply as yet (is the IC150 really THAT bad news???? wink.gif)

I've inherited a fairly late example of said preamp and found it very good if used as suggested in the manual - cough - volume turned well up and gain adjusted on the power amp! However, the volume control pot was worn on one channel at low settings and my attempts to "fix" this has all but ruined it sad.gif

Is a spare still avalable, or have I either got to bodge a replacement pot or buy a donor from the US? I reside in the UK and tatty donors just don't come up here. I'd be happy with a used pot as long as it's basically working to restore the unit to working condition. I understand that careful replacement of the original IC's can bring about worthwhile sonic benefits at lower volume settings too.

PLEASE can someone help? Thanks in anticipation..

Dave

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

Sorry to report that we don't have any in stock here at the factory.

#3 dsrance

dsrance
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Sep 15 2011, 07:43 PM) View Post

Oh ******************************************** sad.gif

Not even the update kits, or even the 150A stepped atenuator, which may not even be the same law???????

OK. next question please.. I understand the basic pot seems to be a 400Klog for volume use. Would a 500K one be ok as a generic replacement, with maybe fixed resistors on the additional "loudness" tappings to simulate a gentle fixed "loudness" curve when the button is depressed?

One final thought. the Swedish form DACT make a 500K stepped attenuator which isn't totally out of bounds in costs. maybe one of these could be used, with approximate tappings taken to the loudness connections?

Mind you, a cheap donor looks to be the best alternative.....

#4 KAW

KAW
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(dsrance @ Sep 15 2011, 03:07 PM) View Post

Not even the update kits, or even the 150A stepped atenuator, which may not even be the same law???????

OK. next question please.. I understand the basic pot seems to be a 400Klog for volume use. Would a 500K one be ok as a generic replacement, with maybe fixed resistors on the additional "loudness" tappings to simulate a gentle fixed "loudness" curve when the button is depressed?

One final thought. the Swedish form DACT make a 500K stepped attenuator which isn't totally out of bounds in costs. maybe one of these could be used, with approximate tappings taken to the loudness connections?

The pot that was used on the IC150 was specifically made for that product back in those days. There was never a replacement kit or some type of retro fit of another type or style of pot tried. All you can do is try it and see if it works. We stopped repairing these models more than 15 yrs ago because parts ran out and since many of them where special ordered type components you can't get anything like them somewhere else.

Sorry could be more help.

Thanks,

Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support

#5 dsrance

dsrance
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(KAW @ Sep 15 2011, 08:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(dsrance @ Sep 15 2011, 03:07 PM) View Post

The pot that was used on the IC150 was specifically made for that product back in those days. There was never a replacement kit or some type of retro fit of another type or style of pot tried. All you can do is try it and see if it works. We stopped repairing these models more than 15 yrs ago because parts ran out and since many of them where special ordered type components you can't get anything like them somewhere else.

Sorry could be more help.

Thanks,

Kip Whitehead
Crown Technical Support

Thanks so much for your trouble.