Amp for Car Audio Subwoofer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shoey

shoey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

To keep this brief I will just give you the basics of what I need and see if you have a product I will be able to use.

I want to use the subwoofer I have purchased for my car in my home audio system. The sub can handle ~1000w rms. I havenít figured out a cost-effective method of running the amp I currently am using for it on AC power, so thatís where Crown comes in. Iíve pretty much realized that a new amp will be the most viable option.

So my question is, do you make an amp that can either bridge to 2ohms (at around 1000wrms) or will produce a mono signal at 2 ohm impedance around that power?

Thanks a bunch!

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

No, but the XLS2000 (~$500) will give 1000W into 2 ohm in dual mode.

The old MacroTechs allow you to run 2-ohm or even 1-ohm loads in parallel-mono.  This is similar to bridge-mono in that you get twice the power capability, but the gain remains the same as in dual mode.

#3 shoey

shoey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thank you for the reply...

I glanced at those models you specified. Unfortunately they both seem to be a little out of reach..

With the xls, not having bridged 2ohm, and the price of the macro-techs..

I'm starting to lose hope, but is there such a device that exists on the market which could tailor my needs? I'm sure the market for them must be small if I have yet to find anything yet. Anyway, thanks for the help, but if anyone could think of something I haven't that would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts on using a giant 75amp power supply to power my current amp? For the price it might not be worth it, but it's a thought. Here's an example: http://www.soundoftristate.com/cars/access...kinetik-khc-75a

#4 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(shoey @ Sep 16 2011, 04:52 PM)  
Thank you for the reply...

I glanced at those models you specified. Unfortunately they both seem to be a little out of reach..

With the xls, not having bridged 2ohm, and the price of the macro-techs..

I'm starting to lose hope, but is there such a device that exists on the market which could tailor my needs? I'm sure the market for them must be small if I have yet to find anything yet. Anyway, thanks for the help, but if anyone could think of something I haven't that would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts on using a giant 75amp power supply to power my current amp? For the price it might not be worth it, but it's a thought. Here's an example: http://www.soundoftristate.com/cars/access...kinetik-khc-75a

Would not be cheaper/easier to sell that subwoofer, get a normal sub for your set-up to achieve what you want and get an amplifier that can be bridged @ 4 ohms or 8 ohms or use one side of an amplifier @ 2 ohms? Also because a woofer is rated 1000 watts doesn't mean you will need a 1000 watts amp, depending on the design of the box and frequency will be used you can be surprised how little power you may need before over excursion and damaging your sub.

#5 shoey

shoey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE(Stephane @ Sep 17 2011, 08:20 AM)  
Would not be cheaper/easier to sell that subwoofer, get a normal sub for your set-up to achieve what you want and get an amplifier that can be bridged @ 4 ohms or 8 ohms or use one side of an amplifier @ 2 ohms? Also because a woofer is rated 1000 watts doesn't mean you will need a 1000 watts amp, depending on the design of the box and frequency will be used you can be surprised how little power you may need before over excursion and damaging your sub.

It would definitely be easier to do what you are suggesting, but I would prefer to keep the current equipment I own. Not sure it would be cheaper...

As far as the power handling of the sub, I am well aware of what you are saying. However, I have gotten to know how the subwoofer handles with different amounts of power quite well over the past 2.5 years of ownership. It can handle what it is rated, but I definitely understand the concern you have brought up.

Thanks for the reply.

#6 shoey

shoey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

What if I got a 2-channel amp and hooked up each 4ohm channel to one of the voice coils on my sub?

Its a dual voice coil 4ohm sub so perhaps that would work. That would open the options up greatly!

#7 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

That would work. Be sure to use the INPUT Y mode on the amp to ensure that both output channels are perfectly balanced.

#8 shoey

shoey
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

Awesome. Any amp suggestions from Crown between 400-500w rms to each channel?

I'm overwhelmed by all of the products!!

#9 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

XLS1500 is a great amp for the price. High performance, built-in xover, 525W > 4ohms.