XLS 5000 & Peavey SP 6 towers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Fossil

The Fossil
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

I currently have a 3 year old Crown XLS 5000 running my FOH Peavey SP 6 speakers. The Peaveys are 4 ohm Quasi 4 way towers rated at 2000 watts program / 4000 watts peak. I've been told by several people including the music store owner who sold me the Peavey speakers that the Crown XLS 5000 is WAY TOO MUCH amp for these speakers.  From all I can find out, the XLS 5000 is rated at 1800 watts per channel @ 4 ohms in stereo mode.

I can't afford to trade or buy different equipment right now, so I'll have to go with what I have.  My main questions are:

1. Is this in fact too much amp for the speakers I have?

2. How far should I be turning up the volume knobs on the Crown?  1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or all the way clockwise?  (I've been told that Peavey reccomends running THEIR amps at wide open). What does Crown reccomend?
    I am fearful of doing damage to the speaker components.

This is why I am considering the purchase of the Peavey VSX 26 Speaker Management Processor unit to protect the speakers from getting too much power, if this is the case with this amp.

Thank you for your time,

The Fossil  (Kim)

#2 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

This amp is actually a pretty good match up for the amp.  Like you said, it can do 1800W into a 4ohm load, which is right around the target range given by the program power.

You can have the knob is whatever position you like.  It depends on your preference is you want control at the amp or the board.

#3 The Fossil

The Fossil
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Thanks again for this additional info, Tom.