4 replies to this topic

#1 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

I have four [post="http://www.hollywood...ii.html"]Cerwin Vega ProStax 12 Series II[/post] for the tops, they are 450W program power each. I bought one Crown XTI 4002 for the four of them connecting this rig two speakers per channel totaling @ 4 ohm per channel.

In the future I plan on getting a second amp for subs, I'm not sure how much power is needed for the subs? do you think Crown XTI 6002 or one used i-tech 4000HD or 6000HD and 4X18" subs hopefully two JBL SRX728s is an overkill?

I already understand I need a mixer to connect it all, I think I'll buy A&H ZED 10FX because it also has a USB input for my PC. You think it's a good choice when planing ahead for bi-amping?

Also, I plan on using the built in crossover for bi-amping it, so when I use the XTI for the tops, when I tune the crossover for a curtain frequency (HighPass), are the rest of the frequencies (LowPass) being "exported" from the link out connector?
Is it possible to control multiple (two) amps using SystemArchitect and BandManager via HiQnet simultaneously?

My main usage is DJ and a bit of live band amplification.

Thank you

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hard to say exactly how much sub power you need...I would say at least 1:1 in terms of sub:mains power ratio.  Lots of variables go into determining this.

If you're bi-amping, usually that implies you need only two channels from your mixer, which any mixer can do, USB or not.

Unfortunately, the LINK OUT connector is only a copy of the input jack.  In fact it is just in parallel.  So there is no ability to export a processed signal.  To biamp,  just set the crossover on each amp (highpass on one, lowpass on the other).

Not sure why you'd want to use BM and SA simultaneously(?)  Both apps can control multiple amps.  To be honest I don't think they play nice together.

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Sep 6 2011, 04:13 PM) View Post
Hard to say exactly how much sub power you need...I would say at least 1:1 in terms of sub:mains power ratio.  Lots of variables go into determining this.

If you're bi-amping, usually that implies you need only two channels from your mixer, which any mixer can do, USB or not.

Unfortunately, the LINK OUT connector is only a copy of the input jack.  In fact it is just in parallel.  So there is no ability to export a processed signal.  To biamp,  just set the crossover on each amp (highpass on one, lowpass on the other).

Not sure why you'd want to use BM and SA simultaneously(?)  Both apps can control multiple amps.  To be honest I don't think they play nice together.

Hey Kevin,
Thank you for the reply.

If the Link In and the Link Out are just connected in parallel, wouldn't it decrease the signal coming from the mixer resulting in less volume out from the system?

I don't want to use both BM and SA simultaneously but I want to use one of them, don't know which one yet, to control both amps simultaneously, is that possible? I guess I would need a USB splitter and a separate cable for each amp to accomplish this.

Thank you again

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

Dividing the signal form the mixer shouldn't be a problem for most mixers.  Less expensive ones might drop in level, but you can usually just boost the mixer output to compensate anyway.

Either BM or SA can control up to about 6 USB devices without any trouble.  Make sure you use a USB hub with its own power supply/wall-wart, or else just use multiple USB ports directly from your PC.

#5 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

I just bought A&H ZED 10FX mixer.

Thank you for the advice

smile.gif