Newbie needing advice about Amps vs Watts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jonno

Jonno
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

A three room club venue I am writing about advertises the following sound systems:
1. a 650 capacity room which operates a "Crown state of the art 50K Amp" sound system.
2. a 500 capacity room with a 30K amp Crown system.
3. a 500 capacity room with "MAIN SOUND SYSTEM is the LOGIC SYSTEM PRO AUDIO:
18KW of power going from the MC2 E SERIES AMPS to the various speakers giving enough power to add other LOGIC speakers to the mix if necessary."

How do I compare the systems measured in kA to systems measured in kW?

As a very general rule of thumb what would be the minimum / maximum powers generally required to provide the best quality sound in a venue 500-650 capacity venue?

Thank you!

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the kA should be kW.  I don't have a good feel for a rule of thumb on power vs audience size, but my guess is that the big difference in the above will be how much bass thump each system is capable of, not overall loudness / acoustic coverage.

#3 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Sep 6 2011, 09:25 AM) View Post
I'm pretty sure the kA should be kW.  I don't have a good feel for a rule of thumb on power vs audience size, but my guess is that the big difference in the above will be how much bass thump each system is capable of, not overall loudness / acoustic coverage.

You mentioned in the pinned topics "power draw Vs power output" that the difference is the efficiency, I think this is what he means...

#4 Jonno

Jonno
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(dakos @ Sep 6 2011, 03:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Sep 6 2011, 09:25 AM) View Post

You mentioned in the pinned topics "power draw Vs power output" that the difference is the efficiency, I think this is what he means...

Thanks for the replies.