Power for Peavey QW218's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UncleTony

UncleTony
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I have 2 Peavey QW218 subwoofers and I'm looking for power. I am opting for 2 xti 4000's, running them in bridge mode. The xti's spec at 3,200 watts in bridge @ 4 ohms. The Peaveys are spec'd @ 3,200 watts of program power. Or is there a better option?

Thanks

Tony

#2 JPM.

JPM.

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

One Itech IT6000 or even better one IT8000 or IT9000HD. Itech has much better limiters and DSP than XTI series. XTI series limiters are not really useable for protecting speakers in my opinion.
Justin

#3 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

Tony, I like your thinking, BUT I believe the QW218 is an 8ohm speaker, meaning the XTi4002 can only do 2400W.  This speaker really wants around 3200W, a little more would be better.

You're in a weird spot here, because the XTi6002 is too much in bridge, but not enough in stereo.  Going up from there, like JPM said, an IT6000/9000HD or IT8000/12000HD in stereo would be a good option.

Two XTi6002's would work, just be careful about all the power it can deliver.

#4 UncleTony

UncleTony
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

Ok, here's where I'm at.

After some serious research, there are 2 sets of subs I'm looking at: a set of JBL srx728s and/or a set of Peavey Qw218's.  Both are rated 3,200 watts at a 4 ohm load. I checked and re-checked this spec.  

Both are considered by many to be very comparable in quality; excellent. Both will stop hearts and melt faces. Both will fill up a larger outdoor venue with no problem.  

I will use these for FOH live sound.

I may get both and use 1 set on either side of the talent, and one set center filled as AUX fed with kick and  bass guitar.

I wouldn't place these side by side as I have concerns for phase cancellation. Mix n Match would be an issue I believe.  There are a number of quality amps to run these, previous posts in this thread atest. I really want to stick with Crown as I already have 2 xti2000's and a CE1000 in my rack and I believe these to powering what I currently have quite nicely.

I already have a rack mount DSP (Peavey VSX26) so an on board amp DSP is less than necessary. The xti 4000/4002 is a light, 3,200 watt at 4 ohm bridged amplifier. Since both/either cab is 3,200 watt program at 4 ohm this would seem to be a good ECONOMICAL yet quality choice. Again, the on-board DSP of the xti is of no use to me.

Bottom line: do I need to spend a boatload of money on an I-Tech to power either of these brands of subs or can an xti 4000/4002 in bridge (3,200watts) for basically less than half the money, do the deal and do it without regret? Can I get the headroom out of these subs with xti power?

Whats a mother to do?

#5 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

The XTi4's can run these subs no problem.  It is very common for people to pair these together, and I get very positive feedback from them.  From my own listening in our listening hut, I think it is a very nice pair for a good price.

#6 UncleTony

UncleTony
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE(Tom Lureman @ Aug 30 2011, 01:13 PM) View Post
The XTi4's can run these subs no problem.  It is very common for people to pair these together, and I get very positive feedback from them.  From my own listening in our listening hut, I think it is a very nice pair for a good price.

Thanks Tom. I just bought 2.

#7 UncleTony

UncleTony
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

I now have 4 xti's in my rack. I have 2 xti 2000's running in bridge mode, each powering a Peavey SP218 sub.
I just put 2 xti 4002's in my rack, also in bridge mode and each powering a Peavey QW218. I am working to set these up and get this rig running.

On page 13 of the xti 2000 manual, bridged cabling calls for 1 input to the amp, that being channel 1. Bridged output cabling to speaker as per normal.

On page 4 of the xti 4002 manual, bridged cabling calls for inputs into both channel 1 and channel 2, with the amp summing the input signal. Again, bridged cabling to speaker as per normal.

First, and not to be insolent, is the 4002 hookup as stated in the manual correct? Is it now improper to input only to CH 1 with this amp in bridge?

Second, if this is now the case, can I use an xlr Y cable from one output of my DSP into 2 inputs of the amp and be OK?

Third, should the Channel 2 gain knob on the front of 4002's be fully counterclockwise since Channel 1 output is the only output being used?

And lastly, just out of curiosity, why the change?

Thanks