4 replies to this topic

#1 jblf

jblf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

I was doing a show last weekend. Everything going fine. Levels good on the mixer, sound good, then I see in SA that the outputs are clipping constantly. This happened 2 times during a 4 hour show. It would show the amp clipping and then stop suddenly. I checked the amp and the red clip light was flashing. There was no audible clipping and the sound was fine. A total of 30 clip errors on Channel 1 driving my SRX 712's.

Any ideas?

#2 jblf

jblf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(jblf @ Jul 20 2011, 08:20 PM) View Post
I was doing a show last weekend. Everything going fine. Levels good on the mixer, sound good, then I see in SA that the outputs are clipping constantly. This happened 2 times during a 4 hour show. It would show the amp clipping and then stop suddenly. I checked the amp and the red clip light was flashing. There was no audible clipping and the sound was fine. A total of 30 clip errors on Channel 1 driving my SRX 712's.

Any ideas?

After further thought could fluctuating voltage from the power supply cause this to happen with a sudden sag? I had to run 50' of 12 gauge cable to run the amp. The organizer of event assured me it was a dedicated 20 amp supply.

#3 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Yes, full power is achieved only at 120VAC and above, so a voltage sag might cause premature clipping.

#4 jblf

jblf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Jul 27 2011, 03:33 PM) View Post
Yes, full power is achieved only at 120VAC and above, so a voltage sag might cause premature clipping.

Kevin. I only have clip problems with the channel running my SRX 712's. My peak limiter is set at 110v. Should I dissable the peak limiter when the venues power situation is less than desirable?

#5 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

Since the peak wattage is 3200W, you should technically use 160V peak.  You could disable this and just leave the RMS limiter on for less-than-optimal power sources.