BEst amp for Bass Rig

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EscapeNote

EscapeNote
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Hello - First time posting here.  I'm a bassist, looking to put together a new rig.  I'll be powering a pair of 1x12 cabs, a Bergantino HT112ER and an Aguilar GS112.  Both 8 ohm cabs, the Berg rated at handling 350 watts, the Aguilar at 300.  At some point in the future i might add a 3rd cab, possibly a 15.  The XLS1000 or XLS1500 would seem to be a good match for my needs.  A couple of questions:

Assuming that I do add another cab at some point, would the XLS 1000 still be enough or would I be better off to get the XLS1500?

If I run the am in bridge mode can I still use the Speakon connectors or can bridge mode only work with Banana plugs?  

When the fan kicks in is it fairly quiet?

Thanks much.

#2 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

To answer your questions about the amp and speakers, I need to know if the power level you mentioned for the speakers is peak, program, or continuous RMS power.  Also, which third cab would you possibly be adding?

When the fans turn on (which isn't all that much) this amp is extremely quiet.  A lot of people have started using these in their home theater for that reason.

You CAN use the amp in bridge mode with the Speakon connector.  Speakon output #1 has connections for all for outputs in the back (1+, 1-, 2+, 2-).  Use a Speakon connector called NL4 that has 4 conductors.  Wire the connectors so your two wires are connected to 1+ and 2+.  This is the same exact thing as connecting banana connectors to the two red terminals.
The other end of the Speakon cable that connects to the speaker should be wired like normal (1+ and 1-).

Make sure to not add any more speakers to the banana connector, as they are the same output as the Speakon and not a separate amp channel.

Also, when you parallel two 8ohm loads, it becomes a 4 ohm load, which this amp CAN handle in bridge mode.  However, adding a third speaker in parallel will drop the overall impedance to 2.67ohms which no amp can handle in bridge mode.

#3 EscapeNote

EscapeNote
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Tom, thanks for the response.  The power handling of both of my 1x12 cabs is rated RMS.  So Bergantino 1x12, 350 RMS, Aguilar 1x12, 300 RMS, both 8 ohms.  As to the 3rd cab, I'm not sure at this point, however it would almost certainly be an 8 ohm load with similar power rating.

Just so I'm clear, you said:

"When you parallel two 8ohm loads, it becomes a 4 ohm load, which this amp CAN handle in bridge mode.  However, adding a third speaker in parallel will drop the overall impedance to 2.67ohms which no amp can handle in bridge mode."

Does this mean that if I'm only running the 2 cabs and I run the XLS1500 in stereo, one cab on each side, then the Crown will see that as one 4 ohm load, not two 8 ohm loads?  I was thinking that in stereo each side would be independent, thinking that if I did in fact add a cab then I could run the pair of 12 cabs on one side (both 8 ohms, daisy chained to produce a 4 ohm load) and then perhaps a 15" cab - 8 ohm - on the other channel.  Are you saying that this would not work?

Looking at the specs on the website I got the impression that the XLS could go as low as 2 ohms per channel.  I must be missing a key aspect of what your trying to tell me (sorry, am a bit slow sometimes)

Thanks

QUOTE(Tom Lureman @ Jul 14 2011, 08:26 AM) View Post
To answer your questions about the amp and speakers, I need to know if the power level you mentioned for the speakers is peak, program, or continuous RMS power.  Also, which third cab would you possibly be adding?

When the fans turn on (which isn't all that much) this amp is extremely quiet.  A lot of people have started using these in their home theater for that reason.

You CAN use the amp in bridge mode with the Speakon connector.  Speakon output #1 has connections for all for outputs in the back (1+, 1-, 2+, 2-).  Use a Speakon connector called NL4 that has 4 conductors.  Wire the connectors so your two wires are connected to 1+ and 2+.  This is the same exact thing as connecting banana connectors to the two red terminals.
The other end of the Speakon cable that connects to the speaker should be wired like normal (1+ and 1-).

Make sure to not add any more speakers to the banana connector, as they are the same output as the Speakon and not a separate amp channel.

Also, when you parallel two 8ohm loads, it becomes a 4 ohm load, which this amp CAN handle in bridge mode.  However, adding a third speaker in parallel will drop the overall impedance to 2.67ohms which no amp can handle in bridge mode.