Serial Port

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rwphilli

rwphilli
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:28 PM

I just shopped and purchased a new laptop.  I noticed that laptop manufacturers have stopped installing serial ports.  I understand there is a USB serial cable.

Does anyone know how we are to connect to our IQ systems without the Serial Port?  Is there such a thing as a DB9 USB serial cable?  And is there any ticks to making one work?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:27 PM

There are many devices that will allow you to convert a USB port to a serial com port. One we have had good luck with is the IOGEAR USB PDA/Serial Adapter. You can get this at almost any computer/electronics store like Best Buy.
The only thing to consider is that the device must be able to be set up to operate as one of  the standard comports for serial communication (com 1 to 4). This way the IQ software will be able to find the IQ components. Some of these devices like to select com 15 and will not let you select a different com port without talking to the companies Technical Support people and doing some fancy tricks.

#3 bvanderw

bvanderw
  • Admin
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:35 AM

I did some R&D on this awhile back and was disappointed in the performance of all the adapters we tested. The Belkin was absolutely the worse. None of them performed well at 115k baud. Like David has stated, the IOGear adapter seemed to work as good or better than anything else we tested.
Bruce Vander Werf
Crown Audio, Inc.

#4 jgriggs

jgriggs
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:28 AM

I currently use the IO Networks Edgeport series for this protocol conversion.
The specific model is the Edgeport/ 421 (part number 301-1004-21).
These can be found here at http://www.ionetwork...s/edgeport.html
These cost quite a bit more than what is at Bestbuys or other electronics stores.
However, these are more of an industrial solution.
The Edgeport 421, gives you a 4 port usb 1.1 hub, 2 serial ports, and a printer only parallel port.  The serial port operates up to 230 kbps, but I have never had anything to run over 115.2kbps.

They have several solutions from 1 serial port up to 16 per box with assorted options.  Make sure you read the specific option for the model you are interested in. Not all of them are metal and not all of them support the odd industrial protocols such as RS422 and RS485.  A good overview is in the following pdf: http://www.digi.com/...sb_edgeport.pdf

Jon

#5 AudioSOS

AudioSOS
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:27 PM

I use a Keyspan High Speed USB Serial Adapter with good sucess. Fired right up and connected without a hitch.