IT8000 CH2 clip light on and no output..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

I've had this amp for about 3 or 4 months everything has been fine until this morning. I usually run two 728s with no problem. So, this morning I plugged in a SRX718S and ran some music through it at a minimal level. 2 minutes into it the CH2 clip light came on and the sub started to make a "pop" sound a couple of times. I tested CH 1 and it works fine, sub too.  Now, the CH 2 does not have any output and the clip light comes on when I try to send a signal.  Any ideas?

thanks,
byron

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

It pretty much just needs to get into service, unfortunately.

#3 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

oh, man.. I bought this as a refurbished and it only shows 106 hrs operating time. is this accurate or could someone actually go in mess with that number? it just seems strange that amp with so little hours would be having this kinds of issue, on the other hand anything can go wrong and it will at some point, right?

here is the serial number: 8000376043 would you mind checking to make sure is still under warranty?

I'll go ahead and fill out the SRA..

thanks for your prompt response.

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

It looks like the Crown warranty expired in June 2010.  Did the dealer offer any warranty of their own?

It hasn't been serviced that I can tell, so it will need some routine updates (pico-flex and 50-pin ribbon cables) which are probably the cause of the popping.  Typically we give you these parts for free and just charge for labor.

#5 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

i am really surprised!  I bought a total of 3 from 1 dealer and 1 from another. This amp in particular was bought not more than 4 months ago. Both dealers claimed than Crown had given a 1 year warranty, but did not disclose the exact date when it would expire, maybe I should have asked. I'll go back to the dealer and see how they respond. I will report back so folks are aware of this.

would you mind checking on this amp too 8001269838 I want to make sure so I can go back to them at once.

thanks for your help again

#6 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

The second amp you list is under warranty until 7/21/2012.

I am also re-confirming the warranty on the first one -- there are some inconsistencies in the warranty record.

UPDATE:  Apparently there should have been a warranty card included with the amp, which in this case had to be sent to Crown to get the warranty.  I believe if you still have your receipt, however, that will work as well.  The warranty was 1 year after purchase.

#7 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

That sounds great. I do have the receipt for both. the warranty card did come with it but I did not send it in for either amp.  I'll go ahead and fill out the SRA and send a copy of the receipt.  let me know if there is anything else I need before I send it in.  thanks for the great service.

#8 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

kevin,

I sent the amp to crown last week. In doing some reading I noticed that the ribbon cable was a common issue with older amps. should i be concerned that this same issue will happen to the second amp? can tell me if this amp 8001269838 has been serviced in the last year or so. or if this particular issue has been addressed with this amp? am just trying to anticipate this issue ahead of time. I don't have other amps on hand if something goes wrong at a show.

thanks

#9 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

Answered in a PM.  I'm happy to look up any serial # -- send me a PM or email -- kevin.heber@harman.com

#10 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

quick update! it looks like the SRA website has been down for several weeks and unfortunately no updates are given to customers unless you follow up yourself. in which case you get a standard reply telling you to wait. Anyway, the check in time is 10 days. My amp was received on Jun 28th but I still have not gotten official word from crown that it was received. a word to the wise use delivery confirmation,  that is the only way I know that they received it. Unfortunately i don't have extra amps laying around, so I will definitely think twice before sending my other amp next time.

btw, not sure if people are aware of this but the "pico-flex cables AND the 50-pin ribbon cable" problem are well documented on these amps and Crown is aware of this yet is not a standard fix when the amps go in for other repairs. Crown does not cover labor @ $70 hr.  it only covers parts. It's a bit odd given that this looks like a production problem. one would think this would have been some kind of recall. Anyway, not complaining just sharing so others are aware.

thanks,
byron

#11 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

another update and WARNING for those who have faulty IT8000 amps!

I just learned that as of Jul 1st Crown is charging a flat fee of $670 for IT repairs. btw, they don't even provide details.  Normally companies provide some kind of information to customers before hand I guess Crown does not feel the need to do so.

i sent in my amp thinking it was going to be about 2hrs of labor @ $70 per hour  based on Kevin's info at the top of this thread and it turns out I now have to a bit more than 3 times that for the same issue. Also, this amp was bought under warranty and with a "certified" sticker which I don't know what it means. I looks like the certification is not much of an assurance of product quality control. I don't understand why was this problem not dealt with it at the time someone was inspecting it?

I am discouraged because the communication to the customers and even within crown is not consistent and lacks transparency.

Live and learn...

thanks,
byron

#12 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

To clarify, if the amp is under warranty, there is no charge for anything of course, including shipping.  FYI the 50-pin ribbon cable tech note was issued in December 2010, probably long after the amp was certified.

Yes, the fee hike was July 1st (after this thread was started) and caught a lot of people by surprise (including me).  As far as details, we provide details about what was fixed.  In addition, all amps receive the following:

Clean
        Inside and outside of amplifier
Input and Output connectors
Adjustment pots
Switches

Inspect
        Power cord (if attached)
Handles and rack ears
Fan/Motor/Blade Condition
Commonly worn parts
Factory updates (including firmware)
Chassis integrity
Knobs and controls
Air-Filters
Mounting Hardware

Test and Adjust
        Factory specifications and adjustments
Power Draw (in-rush and idle)
Turn on delay and protection
Overvoltage protection
DC offset and servo circuits
Bias circuits
All display circuits
Volume control and gain circuit
CMR circuits
Full rated power (all load types)
THD and IMD specs
Signal to noise specs
Bridge, stereo, parallel modes
Frequency response
Current monitoring and protection

#13 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

Kevin,

thanks for your response. I am a bit fustrated with this whole process to be honest.

the amp in question IS under warranty yet I am being asked to pay this flat amount. I have now being sent to talk to the customer service agent's supervisor. which does not make much sense since this should be covered by the warranty.
would you mind clarifying if I missing something here? I have the receipt to prove when I bought the amp.

also, I would be happy to get you the name of the person i've been dealing with may be they don't have access to the database to see that the amp's warranty is still good.

thanks

#14 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Apparently Leslie Kruse, our service manager, is out til next Tuesday.  Spoke to other service folks and we're not sure why there is any issue with honoring your warranty but she is the person who apparently needs to handle this.  Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your patience.

#15 avimopro

avimopro

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for your help in getting this sorted out. I'll wait until Leslie is back and hopefully this can be resolved. In any case, I already gathered all the related documents (e.g. invoice, payments and ups tracking)  to prove that this amp is still under warranty.  All things being equal if there is a question about this I am ready to show proof.

thanks you again,
byron