xti 2000 wierd problem. rebooting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rafavalle

rafavalle
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I have a rack of 3 xti amps, two 2000 and one 4000. last saturday for some reason one of the 2000 amps wont turn on. all the level lights and the display turn on and off in a cycle. the other amps worked fine. i also noticed that the 4000 clip leds where turning on sometimes but not the -10 db led. all amps have the latest firmware. today I tested the amp at home and turned up fine. I did not check voltage but it was a hotel ballromm so i suspect it should be fine.

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

There could be a number of explanations for this, e.g., an intermittent short in your speaker cable or a surge protector that is clamping down on the voltage.  It might be tough, but we need to find a way to reproduce the problem with regularity in order for it to be fixed.

If the -10dB output LED is not coming on but the clip light is, I would hook the amp up to Band Manager or System Architect to get a better look at your input and output levels.  It's possible, e.g., that the input stage is clipping but not the output stage.

#3 rafavalle

rafavalle
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Mar 28 2011, 09:56 AM) View Post
There could be a number of explanations for this, e.g., an intermittent short in your speaker cable or a surge protector that is clamping down on the voltage.  It might be tough, but we need to find a way to reproduce the problem with regularity in order for it to be fixed.

If the -10dB output LED is not coming on but the clip light is, I would hook the amp up to Band Manager or System Architect to get a better look at your input and output levels.  It's possible, e.g., that the input stage is clipping but not the output stage.

As for the speakers short, I removed all wiring to the amp to test this and still same reboot thing. No surge suppressor installed. As for the clipping problem, I fixed this on mi last gig adjusting the levels with sys arch.

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Sounds like the rebooting amp needs service -- nice to know that the failure seems repeatable at least.

#5 rafavalle

rafavalle
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Mar 29 2011, 08:25 AM) View Post
Sounds like the rebooting amp needs service -- nice to know that the failure seems repeatable at least.

today I used the same rack on other gig and everything worked fine. I plan to go to the hotel I was working when the problem show up and measure the voltage on that particular socket i used that time. question, can this amp be affected by harmonics on the a/c power line?

#6 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Yes, it is susceptible to dirty power.  If you have doubts about your line supply, use a power conditioner.