where do i set out gains on xti4000 to get 23db & 26db voltage gain?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jez

jez

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

OK in short im using another manufacturer of speakers / processors  .. they state .. for full protection to be realized from there system ... the amps must be calibrated to 26db ... ...

now the xti i am using is rated at 34.2db voltage gain ...  where do i set the outputs gains on the amp ... so its 26db ?  

correct me if im wrong .. but   putting a 1 volt rms ... input into the amp ...  would result in a gain of 34.2db ....

now if i back of the output gain ...  then that 34.2db would drop ...  for that given amount of input ?  so therefore turning down the amps would reduce the voltage gain ...

so QUESTION IS  IN SHORT .... LOL    WHAT POSITION DO I NEED TO TURN DOWN THE OUTPUT GAIN OF MY CROWN XTI4000  TO GET 26db VOLTAGE GAIN ... I NOTICE THAT THE ARE 20 AVAILABLE POSITIONS FOR THE OUTPUT GAIN (VOLTAGE GAIN! )  ON THIS AMP ...

DOES CROWN HAVE HIDDEN AWAY THE EXACT VOLTAGE GAIN AT EACH INCREMENT OF THE 20 INDENTS ON THE OUTPUT GAINS???? WOULD BE USEFUL I CAN TELL YA !!!!  someone from crown tech please come quick ... there must be documentation around of the voltage gain at each of the 20 indents ...

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP!!!!! .....

I ALSO HAVE SAME QUERY WITH REGARD TO GETTING THE XTI1000  TO A MAX AVAILABLE VOLTAGE GAIN OF 23db ????

I guess i must be the only one out there using XTI s  with Meyer Sound speaker & processors

also with regard to onboard processing on XTI with band manager ... can the output gain / voltage gain be set on there ... so i can keep my amps  turned up full all the time ect ???

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

First click down: no effect
Second click: -1dB
Third click: -2dB
Most clicks below that: -1.5dB
Bottom few clicks are larger, last click is basically mute

You can also set the gain in Band Manager / System Architect in software if you like.

#3 jez

jez

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Mar 11 2011, 02:04 PM) View Post
The voltage gain of the XTi4k is 34.2dB is with the front attenuator knobs at full. You can attenuate by moving the knobs to the left in steps (clicks). The first click has no effect, the second click is -2dB, and each click to the left thereafter decreases the gain by -1.5dB.

You can also set the gain in Band Manager / System Architect in software if you like.

freaking awesome!!!!!!!! well done Kevin much appreciated !!!! ....  does the same apply to the xti1000 .. ?

kind regards

Jez

#4 jez

jez

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Mar 11 2011, 02:04 PM) View Post
The voltage gain of the XTi4k is 34.2dB is with the front attenuator knobs at full. You can attenuate by moving the knobs to the left in steps (clicks). The first click has no effect, the second click is -2dB, and each click to the left thereafter decreases the gain by -1.5dB.

freaking awesome!!!!!!!! well done Kevin much appreciated !!!! ....  does the same apply to the xti1000 .. ?

kind regards

Jez

#5 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Glad to help!  Yes, ditto for XTi1000 except that its 100% gain is 30.5dB.

#6 jez

jez

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Mar 14 2011, 05:16 PM) View Post
Glad to help!  Yes, ditto for XTi1000 except that its 100% gain is 30.5dB.

Hi Again Kevin!

OK very last question .. hopefully ...  im confused as in band manager ...  the input attenuator goes down to  -80 ?

so to make sure i got this right .. i will will  let you know my plans here ....

OK 1st ... with the xti4000 .. it   is rated at 34.2db voltage gain.....    to conform to the Meyer stuff im using .. it needs to have a 26db voltage gain ...   so my plan is to set up in band manager software ...   the input attenuator gains  down either 8.0  or  8.5db to get close as i can get to the 26db needed ?  is this correct .?

and as for the xti1000 ...  its rated at 30.5db voltage gain ... so to get it to 23db  .. i will set input attenuators to  - 7.5db  .. i cant see any other way of doing it .. so i assume  this is correct ?  

kind regards

jez

#7 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

The physical attenuator on the unit and the one in software (Band Manager or System Architect) add together.  The software attenuator has more steps.

So use whatever is most convenient for you to get down to 26dB or 23dB.

#8 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

I missed a step in my description of the attenuator steps above.  So I've revised my original post; my apologies for any confusion!

#9 1958sedwards

1958sedwards
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hi

26db of ampifier gain is equivilent to a voltage gain of 20.  What this means is a 1 volt signal in will be amplified to 20 volts by the amplifier!  

As Kevin said the amplifier attenuator is approximately calibrated but you could double check the gain of the amplifier by injecting a 1 volt signal (check this signal with a multimeter) and confirming you have 20 volts (again checked with a multimeter) at the amplifier output connections (with no speakers connected). Definately the software adjustment will give you finer control of your gain setting.

I hope this makes some sence.

Regards

Steve