#1 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hello:
One of my IT6000's started having problems during my last gig.  I did not have a backup amp on hand.  The application was "spoken word" only during a town meeting ie; very light duty.  I used the unit to drive  two 8ohm woofers as part of a bi-amped cabinet.....I have used this arrangement many times with steller results.  

Prior to the start of the meeting, one of the channels started making clicking/popping sounds which eventually stopped and all seemed well.
I isolated the problem to the specific channel on the amp.

Once the meeting started the channel worked fine....for a while....then it cut out.  After two or three minutes, there was a single "pop" sound through the PA and the channel came to life.
The rest of the meeting went fine but I was stressing bigtime.

I contacted Crown Tech support, advised them of the issue and was told that it was probably a ribbon cable issue.  The tech suggested that I send the unit back to Crown to diagnose the problem.

The unit is six years old and out of warranty.
If I send the unit back to Crown and it is indeed the "ribbon cable issue" will Crown fix the unit free of charge (as the ribbon cable issue in older units is well-documented)?

I have read that the turnaround time at Crown repair/service for "out of warranty" work can be up to two months.  I cannot be without the unit for that amount of time.

Should I remove the amp's cover and try to "reseat" the cable?

Please advise.

Mike M

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yes, sounds like 50-pin ribbon cable failure symptoms.  The problem is in the solder domain, so re-seating it won't usually help.  Very sorry for the trouble.  

The parts are covered beyond warranty, but labor is not.  Yes, Crown's repair queue is longer than we'd like right now, so I would suggest checking with any local authorized shops in your area first.

#3 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Feb 10 2011, 08:53 AM)  
Yes, sounds like 50-pin ribbon cable failure symptoms.  The problem is in the solder domain, so re-seating it won't usually help.  Very sorry for the trouble.  

The parts are covered beyond warranty, but labor is not.  Yes, Crown's repair queue is longer than we'd like right now, so I would suggest checking with any local authorized shops in your area first.

I have sent the unit to Crown for service.  When I called Crown to make arrangements (get the RTA #, etc.) the gal told me that once Crown received the unit (since it is an Itech) I would have a repair quote within 5 days.  According to UPS it arrived at the factory yesterday (2/15)....we'll see....

On another note, I own three IT6000's and one IT8000 in total.  Thus far the unit in question is the only one that has malfunctioned.  Before my busy season starts, is there anything that I can do with the remaining amps to see if the "ribbon cable" will work properly for the season or do I have to just take my chances...

Please advise in a response to this post.

Mike M

#4 mikem

mikem

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(mikem @ Feb 16 2011, 07:03 AM)  
[quote name='Kevin Heber' post='14156' date='Feb 10 2011, 08:53 AM'

On another note, I own three IT6000's and one IT8000 in total.  Thus far the unit in question is the only one that has malfunctioned.  Before my busy season starts, is there anything that I can do with the remaining amps to see if the "ribbon cable" will work properly for the season or do I have to just take my chances...

Let me clarify my question: Should I take the cover off of the remaining amps and wiggle the Ribbon cable to see if it is loose?  Or, do I use them and hope that it is all set.

Are there any specific serial numbered units that have this common fault?

I would like my amps to be dependable throughout my performance season (which starts the 1st weekend in March).  

Please asvise.
Mike M

#5 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Wiggling the ribbon cable may speed its demise.  I would advise getting the OK amps into a service center and have the ribbon cable replaced (all Crown authorized centers have the service bulletin that covers this problem).  Note that if they've been into service in the past few years, then this was probably already done as a matter of routine.  There is no specific serial number range.