K2 AMP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 standardpitch

standardpitch
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have an K2 amp that failed a few years ago. Under normal use the amp powered off. After checking to see ifall loads were ok, and still in place, I tried to power up again. The amp powered off again.
Anyway the amp has been setting in the rack with no futher tries.

I've gone through the troubleshoot options and have found that when I disconnect the left Output PWA the amp will power on but both channel indicator lights (Clip and the IOC) shine bright while the
green signal light of the left channel flash's and causes a chirping sound to come thru the speakers. Both input gain knobs are all the way counter clock wise.

Most importantly I have no Tech knowlage......period.
Does anyone have a "Next Step" for me to take, just short of makeing an expensive boat anchor?

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

I would suggest getting it into a shop, or sending it here to Elkhart.  There are high voltages under the hood and it's easy to do further damage.  The K2 has a healthy cult following and you could easily recoup the repair cost on ebay if you wanted.

#3 Patlover1983

Patlover1983
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

It looks like one of the output devices ar been defective. Please look out, i have the same amplifier and if the crowbar circut doesn't work, there has been 90volts DC on the output of the defective channel! I blew my speaker so far in the magnetic fields that it never can be found wink.gif .

#4 sharkmon

sharkmon
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(standardpitch @ Feb 2 2011, 06:33 PM) View Post
I have an K2 amp that failed a few years ago. Under normal use the amp powered off. After checking to see ifall loads were ok, and still in place, I tried to power up again. The amp powered off again.
Anyway the amp has been setting in the rack with no futher tries.

I've gone through the troubleshoot options and have found that when I disconnect the left Output PWA the amp will power on but both channel indicator lights (Clip and the IOC) shine bright while the
green signal light of the left channel flash's and causes a chirping sound to come thru the speakers. Both input gain knobs are all the way counter clock wise.

Most importantly I have no Tech knowlage......period.
Does anyone have a "Next Step" for me to take, just short of makeing an expensive boat anchor?

You could have something very simple, you could have something not so simple.  Very good chance it can be fixed as good as new.  Send it to Service in Elkhart where they will fix you up.  Don't mess with it because you can accidentally cause alot of damage!   http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/style_ima...icons/icon5.gif