3 replies to this topic

#1 CrownSteve

CrownSteve
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hello Kevin...on a previous post you mentioned:

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Oct 14 2009, 02:49 PM) View Post
Sorry for the delay.  If I understand you correctly, you can just plug your XLR mixer out-to-stereo inputs into one amp and jump these (e.g., with short XLR cables) into the inputs of second amp using the link connectors.  Speaker outputs are strictly for speakers; link outputs are strictly for other amp inputs.

Would this apply to active powered speakers?  I am getting a hum noise only on my Link/Out's. I just hooked up my new XLS 2500 and I have a laptop out to a mixer then out to the amp powering two 18" subs connected low pass and I have two active powered speakers getting their line in from the amp's Link/Out's.  When I turn on the active speakers with no audio I get a hum.  When I connect directly bypassing the amp to the active speakers no hum.

Any ideas?

Thanks...Steve.

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

The Link Out on the XLS2500 is somewhat different than the XTi.  Best way to eliminate the hum is probably to use the 1/4" jacks for input to your powered subs and make sure you are using balanced (TRS) connector plugs.  Don't use the RCA jacks if you can avoid it.

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

I would suggest using either a balanced line level signal splitter before the amp(s) with one output going to the amps and one going to the active powered speakers or use a line level isolation transformer on the amplifiers Link Out to feed the active powered speakers. Either way should assure that the two systems are properly isolated and balanced.

#4 CrownSteve

CrownSteve
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yea sound like something with the grounding with balanced/unbalanced going on.  I plugged everything into the same outlet that the amp, mixer and laptop are in and it has diminished a lot.