XTI Link Out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcase

kcase
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

I just did a gig tonight using my XTI4000 connected to my Numark Mixer via balanced XLR as usual with one set of 8 ohm cabinets connected in stereo mode. The house tech had a Meyer system being fed with a Mackie mixer. I used my link out to send him my feed for his system and everything was working fine until we increased the gain for the dance part of the night and my speakers totally shut down. What I realized was the XTI was not getting any of the line signal while hooked up to the house system. I could shut down the amp and the house was still getting signal thru the link out, but no signal to the XTI internally. When the night was over, I disconnected the link to the house and powered up the amp with only my speakers attached and all was back to normal. It's like the house system sucked all the line signal coming into the input of the XTI. Can anyone explain this and is this the proper way to send the signal to another system?

Thanks!

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

You did everything correct.  The Link Out is just a hard parallel connection with whatever is connected at the input -- it will work with or without power on.  So what happened was probably that the house system (incl. lights?) was starving the XTi of enough current to operate.  This is like what happens in an old house where the lights dim when you turn on a vacuum cleaner, etc.  So it sounds like it is a wall power supply issue.

#3 kcase

kcase
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

This job was actually at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach - newly renovated. I was using built in stage power and the house system was 4 Meyers powered cabinets plugged into ballroom circuits. They could have been the same circuit, but unlikely. The XTI's panel never visually fluxuated or gave me any indication that there was a lack of power and the amp didn't operate until I disconnected the link at the end of the night. Is there any other indication that an XTI is starved for power? I've used the XTI's at many different hotel ballrooms and never had a shut down like this before.

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hard to say what happened.  Things that shut down an amp would be: starving for power, thermal overload, shorted output.  I assume the amp wasn't clipping a bunch?  The amp will *try* to let you know about these conditions by flashing very obvious messages on the display, i.e.:  LO LINE, TOO HOT, SHORT.  But the protective circuitry will sometimes shut down the amp before the messages appear.

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

There is one other thing that might have been going on. There could have been some sort an electronic mismatch when connecting to the other system. If you have to do this again I would suggest using either a balanced line level signal splitter before the amp(s) with one output going to the amps and one going to the house feed or use a line level isolation transformer on the amplifiers Link Out to feed the house system. Either way should assure that the two systems are properly isolated and balanced.

#6 Martynas

Martynas
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hi. I'm using 7 XTi amps in my gig and for 3 or sometimes 5 I use LINK OUT. And it works perfectly for me. I've never had a problem that you conect another amp via LINK OUT and my amp or other amp isn't working.