IT9000HD vs. MA9000I

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

I have finally decided on spending the extra money and purchasing one of the two mentioned amplifier lines. After a lot of research on the pros and cons of these guys it has really just come down to price. Why is the IT9000HD $1600 more retail than the MA9000I? On paper they are so close I can't tell a difference? Is it because the ITHD is the new kid on the block? I talked with Full Compass and Sweetwater sales people and I can't go wrong with either amp. As with everything, some of these amps will have their troubles but I am looking toward the future and do not want to buy the XTi series wishing I actually had ITHD's. I run JBLSRX speakers and they eat a lot of power. I run stereo because I need the extra channels for different monitor mixes and have never run mono bridged. I use the system for live bands both indoor and out. I find many IT4000, and IT8000 amps for sale on eBay but have heard the old IT series had major failure issues. Is there any truth to this rumor or are the IT8000's a good buy? So, if anyone has first hand knowledge of both the IT series and MA series I would love to hear your thoughts on which way to go. Blessings.

#2 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:19 AM

I am sure Kevin will give you a good reply to this but I think you should ask the same question on the Prosoundweb.com, I will bet you get some spirited replies wink.gif

#3 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

First off, thanks for your patience while we checked out for the long holiday weekend (and caught up for most of today).

The iTHD's are more expensive because they include a very high-power DSP, plus AES inputs and Cobranet I/O.  The DSP is as powerful as almost any external signal processor (e.g., the dbx Driverack products).  The iTHD and MAi are both, in my humble opinion, the best performing amps on the market and have shown exceptional reliability.

It's true that some of the old iT's had problems, but these are largely well-known and promptly handled in service.  I'd be glad to look up the service history on any amp you're looking at to see if it has been through the usual updates.

#4 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

I will give my left you know what to have any of either one of them !!!

#5 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(fud57 @ Nov 30 2010, 08:46 AM) View Post
I will give my left you know what to have any of either one of them !!!

That would be only a small donation  laugh.gif

#6 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH man that hurt   laugh.gif

#7 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Well, I just found out that the amplifiers specified in this post (I-Tech 9000HD and MA9000i) may require their own dedicated 20AMP circuits, each. In most places we play I run the whole band on a 20AMP alone. We've had some touring shows come to the church and they have a rack of amps but have to have a new power connection run to thier rig from our service box and the cable is huge. Right now I have (1) JBL SRX715 and (1) JBL SRX718s per side (both speakers have ratings of 800w continuous, 1600w program, 3200w peak) in which the XTi6000 would suffice at 1200watts per side. But, I plan on having (2) 715's per side and will probably up the subs too. Then, the XTi6000 would be well below the Program Rating at 2100watts giving each speaker only 1050. I'm not sure this would be enough power at 4ohms Stereo. It would have too much Bridged at 6000watts giving the speakers close to their Peak rating. The XTi4000 Bridged Mono at 4ohms should give me 3200watts divided by the two speakers and they would get 1600 watts each (which is the program rating). So, should I just go with the XTi Series and hope to be able to play any venue or take my chances with the tour proven power amps? I just dont want to have buyers remorse and "wish" I would have gone another route. Sorry if I was rambling. Thoughts?

#8 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

If your going to go to a system that large and with that much thump your going to need to address power at some point, The XTI amps are good but if they are run on a 20 amp circuit with the rest of the band and the lights, that power is going to sage and you may or may not get what you want out of the rig.  

Amps with the huge transformers can be more forgiving when it comes to big bass passages but not near as efficiant as the new amps out there,

I woould tell you this, if it is me, I get the tour quality amps and deal with the power issue with a distro or  finding a couple or three 20 amps in the bars your in, the first time can be a problem but after that, not to bad and if you get a toner to find circuits it can be easy as long as you can get to the main panel.

#9 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

You lost me on the following terms:
"sage" - does that mean drop off / out or diminish?
"distro" - power distribution unit? Suggestions on brand, model?
"toner" - just drawing a blank here.
Thanks fud57

#10 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:25 AM

Just to follow up on this topic I started; I purchased two MA9000i amplifiers and just LOVE them. Working with the venues has been no problem as everyone has an electrician friend. I purchased a Motion Labs 1104-2-DD-050-0012, 30amp power distribution Rac Pac and most places can put in an L14-30, 4 prong twist lock plug. If they only use a three prong twist lock, that's ok too because I'm still getting 30amps (30 amps per side on the 4 prong) and I use adaptor for the different plug configurations. I can also run two separate 20amp circuits as well so there are many options to get the power I need. Worse case, I use (1) 20amp circuit, power one amplifier, and run the mains off side A and the subs off side B. Now I'm looking to buy two more each of the JBL SRX715 and JBL SRX718s cabs. I've used one each per side at outdoor venues and other than being able to walk through the crossover point (which I can always seem to hear at an outdoor venue) the sound is great. I can only imagine what it will sound like when I give the power amps something that needs me to turn the dials all the way up instead of just half way. Yes, I have never had the amps past 50-55% power. Just awesome and cheaper then the ITHD amps. Way to go Crown.

#11 Tom Lureman

Tom Lureman

Network Newbie

• Admin
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the compliments, glad you're loving them!