My amp went BANG! Macro-tech 2400 repair?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Flamin' D

Flamin' D
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

I was really hoping i wouldnt have to be here but here goes...

I was pretty stupid and bought a rack of three crown amps off ebay for 250. Two AMCRON 2401s and a single macro-tech 2400. The 2400 has a regular plug socket, and the two 2401s have sepakon connections on the power wire (?????). So i plug the 2400 in and power it on, and this is what happens:

- both green LEDs, then CH1 green turns off and red OPED LED comes on, and a 'click' is heard inside as the lights swap. CH2 stays the same with just the green led on.

- i thought this was odd and i noticed that CH1s reset switch on the back was jammed in, so i pulled it into its normal position with some pliers.

- powered on again, this time both green LEDs remain on and nothing happens.

i plugged a speaker and an input signal into CH2 and slowly turned up the volume; there was just a distorted fart that should have been the music, and a loud POP was heard from inside the amp.

What the *beep* is going on here? Any idea how easy it is to fix or anything? Ive yet to try the AMCRONs but to be honest i dont hold high hopes.

Thanks in advance for any info

Sam

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

Both green and red LED's should be on normally.  My guess is that the amps hadn't been used in awhile and a capacitor was partially dried up and just popped the rest of the way open.

#3 Flamin' D

Flamin' D
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Nov 11 2010, 02:52 PM) View Post
Both green and red LED's should be on normally.  My guess is that the amps hadn't been used in awhile and a capacitor was partially dried up and just popped the rest of the way open.

Ok cheers - what does it mean if the green lights go out and the red ones come on when the relays close?

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

To clarify, the signal/IOC (green) LED will only come on in the presence of a signal.  If there is no input signal, the light will remain off.  So I think what you described just now is normal.

#5 Flamin' D

Flamin' D
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Nov 12 2010, 07:16 PM) View Post
To clarify, the signal/IOC (green) LED will only come on in the presence of a signal.  If there is no input signal, the light will remain off.  So I think what you described just now is normal.

Ahh yeah i see that now, cheers! Turns out from the rack of 3, the two AMCRON amps have a blown channel 2. One of them, the green light stays on with no red light and theres been a couple of pops inside. The other one, the green light turns off but no red light either. Is it worth having them fixed? They seem like awesome amps if they worked!

#6 kevvywevvywoo

kevvywevvywoo

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

Macrotechs are sought-after by many people for their longevity and sound. My philosophy is that if they've given loyal service for some time then they deserve to be brought back to life for a second chance.

Like a quality car, Macrotechs hold their value on the used market.