Crown XLS1500

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony31

Tony31
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

My XLS1500 is barely a month old. I have used it about 4-5 times and today, I heard some strange clicking noise from the right speaker, I also saw a red light in "Thermal" and "Clip", then the power in the amp went off but before losing the display, I see "fault 21/99". I allowed the unit to cool down, turned it on, and it worked again. After a few minutes, it went off again and I saw "fault 21/99" again before the display went blank. So frustrating when you are listening to good music and your amp would freak out.

What does the fault code mean? Any troubleshooting tip you can recommend?

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

This amp has a very rare but known problem with the microcontroller.  The fault codes are bogus.  They occur because of a floating pin (unterminated) picking up bogus signal.  This has since been fixed in production.  Please see if you can exchange it with your dealer immediately -- if not please contact me -- kevin.heber@harman.com.  Very sorry for the trouble.

#3 dmm

dmm
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Oct 27 2010, 09:38 PM)  
This amp has a very rare but known problem with the microcontroller.  The fault codes are bogus.  They occur because of a floating pin (unterminated) picking up bogus signal.  This has since been fixed in production.  Please see if you can exchange it with your dealer immediately -- if not please contact me -- kevin.heber@harman.com.  Very sorry for the trouble.

I just ordered a XLS1000 online.  Is this microcontroller problem an issue in the XLS1000 line?  What serial numbers are affected?

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

The problem was a minor design issue and has only shown up in a handful of units (out of thousands).  Crown gets these sorts of things corrected and supported very thoroughly.