Sending USB Long Distances

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lastcat

lastcat
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

Ok, here's a question. USB can be sent currently at a max distance of 15'. So, If I have my amps on Stage, and run a 100' snake, and would like to use my Laptop with BandManager at the mixer board, how do I send/receive a signal at 100'?

I found Extender Kit online. Sounds like it would work @ 99.00.

Any other alternative?

Lastcat

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

This looks interesting and low-cost, but the drawback is that it isn't a true network product -- it's just a point-to-point proprietary link.  

A true netwrok product could be dropped into any ethernet system and used at any length.  Here is something from Belkin: http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

#3 lastcat

lastcat
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Kevin, will look into that unit. Have been checking a few items, listed below. I just realized the above unit I posted, will require a Cat 5 cable...argh! Not wireless.

Belkin USB Hub

Anywhere USB

Belkin Hub

I'll have to keep looking and read more details, see if these units can transmit over 100'

Thanks
Lastcat

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

To get wireless USB over 30',  you would need to use a wireless router (any standard WiFi box will work) in combination with the USB network hub.  It's not terribly difficult to set up and Belkin has great online help.

Under 30', there are a number of cheap products to get this done without needing to set up any sort of network -- it's just an RF link like a cordless phone.

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

I have personnely used and tested the AnywhereUSB unit with XTI amplifiers and it works very well. I did several post on this a couple of years ago in this forum that might be helpful.

QUOTE(lastcat @ Oct 7 2010, 08:41 PM) View Post
Thanks Kevin, will look into that unit. Have been checking a few items, listed below. I just realized the above unit I posted, will require a Cat 5 cable...argh! Not wireless.

Belkin USB Hub

Anywhere USB

Belkin Hub

I'll have to keep looking and read more details, see if these units can transmit over 100'

Thanks
Lastcat

#6 lamdig

lamdig
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi Guys,

I need to gear up my 3 XTis for wireless runs > 30 ft by next Thursday. Can you guys provide any updates on gear, issues & solutions, especially whether this is an easy FUTURE SHOP trip to get me up and running?

#7 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

I have heard of a couple of guys doing this with a wireless Ehternet Router and the USB Anywhere.

However, there are two things to remember:

First, the XTi amplifier setup described previously was using a 100 MB "wired" Ethernet system.
Second, the XTi amplifiers are USB (Serial) devices that were never intended for use on an Ethernet system.

As Wireless Ethernet has a lot slower data rate than wired Ethernet the performace of your individual system could not be guaranteed.

The only way to know for sure, if the wireless setup would work in your particular circumstance, would be to build it and try it.

QUOTE(lamdig @ Jan 21 2011, 05:57 PM) View Post
Hi Guys,

I need to gear up my 3 XTis for wireless runs > 30 ft by next Thursday. Can you guys provide any updates on gear, issues & solutions, especially whether this is an easy FUTURE SHOP trip to get me up and running?