USP3/CN AMX Control

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nick

nick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 03:04 AM

I am about to start talking to a selection of USP3/CN cards via an ethernet network.

Has anyone done this? Are there any tricks to doing this? In particular I am looking for a sample string to control an amp - just to understand the string structure. I have previously controlled USM810 via serial, but the protocol has obviously changed. Can you help by maybe translating one of the examples in the UDP/IQ network control protocol.

Thanks

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:12 AM

Hello Nick-

I personally do not have any experience with writing UDP strings, but I will go in search of someone who does.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:16 AM

Nick-

I found the following example...

The following example assumes you know how to send UDP data on your particular platform.
Example 1
This example will attempt to turn on the power on channel 1 of a Crown PIP-USP3/CN with IQ address 45 at IP address 192.168.1.45.
1. From the OIF file (PSN100.OIF), or by using the OIF Utility, find the ?Channel 1 Power? object definition and determine the Object ID and Data Type. In this case, the Object ID is 2000 and the Data Type is ?Logical.?

2. Form the UDP packet with the following field values:
Field           Size (bytes)       Value      Notes
Delimiter       2                    0x4951   ASCII ?IQ?
Size              4                    22          The size of the entire message
Message ID   2                     6           idSetState
Flags             2                    256        Protocol version 1
Source IQ Ad 2                 64100       Anything between 64000 and 65530
Message Tag  2                    0           Not used
Destination IQ Ad 2             45           IQ address of this component
Count             2                   1           Only one object in this message
Object ID        2                2000         Object ID of ?Channel 1 Power?
Data Length     1                    1          The data type ofthis object in the OIF file
                                                        is ?Logical,? which is one byte in length. We
                                                        then derive the value of this field from
                                                        the Data Lengths table above.
State Value        1                  1          Value of for Boolean ?On?

3. Send the UDP packet to port 5600 at IP address 192.168.1.45.

Hope that helps. I have also attached the PDF this information came from.

Attached Files

-=Brad

Bradford Benn

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:17 PM

Nick

If you haven't already you may also want to check out the Readme file in the UDP/IQ developers Kit. It has a description for using the .OIF Utility. This Utility will help in getting the attributes from the units .OIF pertaining to the particular object you wish to control.
The .OIF for the USP-3CN is called: PSN100.oif.
The content of any .OIF can be viewed through MS Windows Notepad this will help you make sure you are using the correct .OIF.

#5 nick

nick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 04:51 PM

The information you have posted  is what I currently have. What I need is the actual data format. for example when talking to a usm810 via 232, the data is formated such as: $xx, $xx, $xx etc where the $ indicated hex, and the xx indicates the hex number.  What format does the data need to be sent in? I guess this is a question for the IQ code guys?

Thanks

N

#6 nick

nick
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 06:25 PM

All good, I was just missing a few zeros!!!

N

#7 lambroffs

lambroffs

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

I am using a Crestron RACK2 to send commands to a bank of USP3s (in MA5002VZs).  With respect to the example given above (Turn power ON/OFF), I can successfully get the amplifier to respond to the command, but can get no acknowledge response back.  The old UCODE protocol document spelled out what type of response to expect, but the UDP/IQ does not mention this.  Even for idGetState queries, there is no mention about how the data will be packaged.  This is all moot, since I can't seem to receive ANY data back.

Since the message format embeds the IQ address only (not the IP), will the USP3 strip the control system IP info and respond directly to that address, or will send a broadcast response to all parties?  Any help is appreciated.

Scott

#8 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:30 AM

Scott-

I am not sure of all the aspects of your question, so I have started discussions with the IQ Engineers. I will get back to you as soon as I get additional information.

-=Brad
-=Brad

Bradford Benn

#9 lambroffs

lambroffs

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:55 AM

Thanks.  I have since been able to receive a formatted response back from the USP3, so ignore that portion of my request (unless it would be beneficial to the forum).   However, the UDP/IP protocol document does not tell me how to decode the response, and pull out the relevant info (i.e. for idGetState requests).  I still need that info.  Thanks.

Scott

#10 lambroffs

lambroffs

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:15 PM

And the winner of the !RTFM! award goes to... me.  It didn't sink in that the idStateData message is the formatted response to my idGetState message (its all there in black and white in the protocol).  Problem solved.... although I do have an unresolved thread posted elsewhere in General Discussion that I still need answered.  Thanks.

Scott

#11 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:26 PM

rolleyes.gif It happens to all of us.

I am still working on the other post. Like I said, I have not done this myself yet so I want to ensure that I get you the correct answer.

Thanks.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn

#12 nortboerg

nortboerg
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:59 PM

Hello,
I've written some AMX-Code to control USP3/CN-Cards via Ethernet. It has worked. If you are still interested - tell me... rolleyes.gif

#13 vincetan

vincetan
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:55 PM

Hi Guys,
is it possible to control the older USP2 cards through the same UDP protocol via a PC running IQ gateway?

Theoretically, it seems possible since the UDP protocol only requires an IQ address.

Please advise.

Thank you

Vincent

#14 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

Theoretically it should be possible. The thing to remember is that you will need to have a computer online running gateway to serve the items up. The other option would be to use RS-232 and control an interface directly that controls the IQ Loop products.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn

#15 vincetan

vincetan
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:37 AM

Hi Brad,

thank you for the reply. will definitely try it out physically one of these days and post the outcome of the test.

vincent