• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Reddin

Greg Reddin
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

I recently installed an XTi 4000 and am having trouble setting up the DSP in System Architect. I'm using a 15" Macbook Pro running OS X 10.5 Leopard. I'm running System Architect in Parallels (3.0) on Windows  XP (SP 3). Windows gives the signal that the USB device is connected, but System Architect never discovers the amp. The serial number indicates that the firmware should be up to date, but I tried to update it anyway just in case. The CLoader program will run, and it will initially see the amp, but after a few seconds it gives a "USB Device Timeout" error. System Architect does not report any errors, but its event log includes a bunch of warnings about USB message send/receive. I have limited access to the amp, so I wanted to give a rundown of what I plan to try next time I am there - probably Monday. Please let me know if I'm missing something.

* From reading this forum, I've read how to determine what firmware is installed. I'm going to verify that.
* I thought my Windows and Parallels installations were up to date, but I've since determined that they were not. I'll try again with the updated versions.
* I'd tried both 2.1 and 1.9 versions of SA, but I think I'll reinstall 2.1 since I've determined that doesn't seem to be the issue.
* I'll use a native Windows computer found in the sound booth if I can't get my computer to work. This will rule out the Mac/Parallels combination as a factor.

If none of these options work, is there a chance I have a problem with the USB connection on the amp itself or is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Greg

#2 Greg Reddin

Greg Reddin
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

I've been able to confirm with someone onsite that the firmware on the amp is 1.1.56.

Thanks,
Greg

#3 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Not familiar with Parallels but can you manually add USB ports using the Options/Network Connectivity menu?  Get to Options by clicking on the orange Q in the top left of SA 2.1.  Also make sure you're working online -- make sure the little circle next to the orange Q is GREEN.  If it is gray(offline), then click it.

#4 Greg Reddin

Greg Reddin
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

Here's an update on this situation: I installed all the updates for Windows and Parallels. It still would not connect. My hunch is that the USB bus is somehow intermittently losing connectivity, but I don't really know why. So I connected to a PC in the sound booth and installed SA there. It connected and worked and I was able to set up the system.

So, there seems to be some kind of localized USB failure on my system and nothing related to the amp or the software. Maybe someday I'll have another amp that I can spend some "bench time" with and get it to work.

Thanks for the help.

Greg