EQing in the USM- 810 :huh:

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 devinf

devinf
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 12:07 AM

B)  I have recently been awarded the task of controlling the software controls in the sound system of a local performing arts center.  After much success with finding and learning how to use the system I have come across a great inconvenience, while using the filters control of the specific auxiliary outputs I came across a most unusual element, it is called the gas.  If anyone has heard of this or had problems with it please let me know how I might be able to disable it or fill it back up.  Preferable how to disable it of course.  I do not have any experience with these systems and the included help file does not mention anything about a lot of features including this one. :o  :blink:  :unsure:

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:52 AM

The "OUT OF GAS" warning window has to do with the fact you have used up the DSP available in that Processor section (Quadrant). The USM-810 has four SHARC processors on board that can provide up to 64 filters per quadrant. The quadrants are divided up as follows:

Quadrant 1: Inputs 1 thru 4 and their A/B processing chains
Quadrant 2: Inputs 5 thru 8 and their A/B processing chains
Quadrant 3: Aux. Outputs 1 thru 4 and Main A output
Quadrant 4: Aux. Outputs 5 thru 8 and Main B output

You can see this association when you click on the filter usage gauge in the upper right corner of the filter page. A box will form around the sections associated with the meter selected.
Should the DSP usage meter run out of filters available for it's quadrant than you have effectively Run Out of Gas.
Sorry there is no DSP filling station available.  B)

#3 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:38 PM

There are actually multiple help files with IQ.

There is a help file for the software itself, which is accessed from the Help Menu, then there is a help file for each component that is context sensitive. In the lower left hand corner of the control panel is a tool bar with a question mark. If one clicks on that question mark, the help for the product appears. It will take you to the base topic for whatever area you are working in.

Hope that helps.

-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#4 T Harrison

T Harrison
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:04 AM

The question you've got to ask yourself is how much EQ are you using?! From my experience, you've got to have seriously large amounts of EQ going on to "run out of gas".  I just tried a quick experiment, and had 8 bands of EQ on every output, and 2 on every input, without reaching "out of gas". Sounds like you need to look elsewhere in your system for your problems. If the system needs that much EQ, then surely speaker and microphone locations, quality of speakers, mics or acoustic environments would be the obvious starting points to look at.
Hope this helps.  B)

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Tim, that is a good point the USM-810 cannot correct for deficiencies in a system components or layout.
Likewise, it cannot function as a multi 1/3 octave equalizer for every output there are limitations to to the DSP processing power, as there is with any DSP device, you can under certain circumstances "Run Out of Gas".  B)