IQNET stays offline

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pwhitbec

pwhitbec
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

OK, got a winXP box running the server software, have UseMe.wiq file stored on a public folder in our Netware network. We can open the file, connect to the network (messages can be sent from server to any client) but the clients all still say "Offline" in the workplace window. What gives? It seems pretty straight forward and simple but I cannot control the unit with the files stored on the network. Is there some special way to store these?
Thanks.

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:34 AM

The first thing I would check is whether or not you can see the components attached to the Server from the other computers. You can check this by running a roll call. If you are able to connect to them, the next thing I would check is that you have read, write, edit, and delete access to the file on the Netware server.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:13 AM

I am attaching an IQ technote that I wrote a while back that covers setting up IQnet. Let me know if it helps.

Attached Files

#4 pwhitbec

pwhitbec
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the help.
I am able to connect using IQ512 and see the amp and adjust it. However, the problem I have is being able to share a common *.wiq file from a remote location.

I can create new control pages and such, but I want to be able to use the same set of control pages for everyone that will have access. This is where I am stuck. I can create individual dataframes with control pages ta each location, but I don't want to have to replicate these from scratch at each spot, plus I want the values of all the controls to be consistent across the network. I made a bunch of custom control pages that are very user friendly for the people that will need to operate this during hours I am not available. It would be quite a bit of work to have to re-write them for each client.

I tried the 712 software, and it won't even find the server, and we do run through a router.

So, how can I share this file? Is there any special setup to it I have to do, it seems to carry the original IPconfig info with it when I put it on another client.

Thanks

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

Ok…. let me make sure I have this correct. wacko.gif
*You can run IQwin 5.12 (setup as a client) on a networked computer.
*After opening the IQwin software and the roll call is run this networked client computer can see the amplifier(s) and control them with no problem. (Note: this is not opening the file just starting the software)
*When opening a .wiq Dataframe file (that was created on a client computer) that is stored on another network drive, and shared by multiple clients, the amplifier(s) are dropping off line or do not come on line.

I have setup and tested your described setup here at the factory to an even more worst-case scenario. We have routers between the systems, are using DHCP with auto assigned IP address for the clients, the .wiq file is in a subdirectory of a Network Server, the computer in the lab is a very slow older machine running MS Windows 2000 while the clients are running XP and we have massive amounts of network security. Even with all this I am able to run multiple clients off of a network shared .wiq file. It sounds like there is either a network sharing issue or a software setup issue.

You would not want to use IQnet server with IQwic, as the two software packages are not designed to work together. IQnet Server is used with IQ for Windows (IQwin). IQnet Server makes a computer, connected to the IQ system interface, into a server for the IQ components so they are controllable over a network via other computers running IQ for Windows that are set up as IQwin clients. The IQwin clients receive their IQ component roll call information from the IQ Net Server computer. If you were to open a file with a client computer that was not setup to be a client or you did not have communication to the IQnet Server than the file would show all components being offline. The .wiq file only holds the system configuration (a snap shot) if there are no components being detected by the software then the file will show everything off line.

IQwic has it’s own software for seeing Legacy current loop components called “IQ Gateway”. IQ Gateway makes a computer, connected to the IQ system interface, act as a network gateway for the IQ components so they can be controlled and monitored by the IQwic software. If you are not running any of the newer network TCP/IQ components it is recommended that you use the IQ for Windows software package.

As a precautionary measure I would also make sure each client computer’s IQ for Windows software is setup so it does not Engage a file when a file is opened. This way you will not be trying to send settings to the IQ products each time the file is opened. On each Client computer in the main menu of IQ for Windows select Setup|System and in the “Engage after opening Dataframe” select “Never”. In the “Never” mode when a file is opened the software pulls the settings of the components into the active file instead of (engaging) sending the file information to the system components.

#6 pwhitbec

pwhitbec
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the help, it does appear to me that it's a sharing issue. My other IT guy tells me they cannot give the server computer access to the Netware drive but it should be able to communicate anyway. I gave him your number and he will give you a shout.
Thanks again.

#7 dduncan4@san.rr.com

dduncan4@san.rr.com

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

What version of Netware is it? If it is a current version then there are issues with file sharing. I ran into this with quite a few programs when we upgraded, spent a lot of hours tweaking things to get everything to work.

A diagram of how the amps, server and client are connected would help a lot. Sometimes, if using a network server as a router in the network just gets in the way. How many hops away is the server where the .wiq files live?

#8 pwhitbec

pwhitbec
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

All set, I have it doing exactly what I want now.
I had to rewrite the dataframe control pages using the shared file as the starting point. For some reason it would not communicate properly. Once rewritten from the new location it does all it is designed for.
Thanks.

#9 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:46 PM

It does sound like a Netware sharing issue and is extremely interesting. I have never heard of it needing to be done that way. I will have to keep that in my bag of tricks.