Xti 4000 bridged mode output?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 soundman23

soundman23
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'm running my 4000's in bridged mode and was wondering about the speakon output...is ch1 speakon good enough or should I wire into the binding post?
I guess I'm wondering if I will get max output from the speakon jack.

Thanks

#2 schnakesound

schnakesound

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:47 PM

Hi, When you are using an XTi series amp in bridge mono mode with a Speakon connector the connector has to be wired 1+ and 2+.  It is then attached to the Channel 1 output.  If you use the binding post attached your cable to the two red connectors.  You will get the same output using either method.

bill  cool.gif
Roll it in...Hook it up...Make some magic.

Visit us at: http://www.schnakesound.com

Bill Schnake

#3 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(schnakesound @ Jul 5 2009, 08:47 PM) View Post
Hi, When you are using an XTi series amp in bridge mono mode with a Speakon connector the connector has to be wired 1+ and 2+.  It is then attached to the Channel 1 output.  If you use the binding post attached your cable to the two red connectors.  You will get the same output using either method.

bill  cool.gif

Is the 1+ and 2+ the same as using a NL4 Speakon connector?
Heck, I already bought Banana Plugs to attach but I never liked them in the first place.
Thanks

#4 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Yes it is, if you open a NL 4 connector there is four places to attach wire.  It shows it real good in the XTI manual, not how to wire it but the connector smile.gif

Frankly if your going to do this,  I hate to have "special cords, and I hate bananna plugs as sooner or later they get plugged in wrong and something is out of polarity. rolleyes.gif

If you do make a special cord, Mark it real well so you know what it is.

If it was me and if I was going to run more than one speaker off this amp, I would buy a NL4 speaker panel something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2U-Speakon-Rack-Panel-...=item5ade2c76aa

and I would wire the red channel one binding post to +1 on one speakon and the red channel two binding post to the --1 connection,    then I would make little jumps to at least one more connector in this panel again to +1 and --1

This will give you two places to hook up speakers and eliminate the special cords.  IF you use this for subs, (and they are 8 ohms subs,) I really suggest that you run a cord from this panel to each sub and not jumper from sub to sub unless you use cable's that are 10 ga.

If you home run each speaker to the amp, it will help with the damping factor and the loss of some watts smile.gif

Good luck and let us know how you do and by the way   welcome to the forum!!

#5 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

I found (bought) a set of 12 gauge NL4 speakon cables. I'll just go from the Channel 1 out in Bridge mode for the JBL SRX718 subs. I can't seem to figure out how to bridge the JBL SRX715 mains though. Anyway, if you are familiar with the dbx DriveRack PA+, I have one of those as well and I'm not sure what to set the XTi4000's at so the DRPA+ can run them. Basically, what the heck is it supposed to read in the XTi window? There are quite a few little icons in there. Thanks for the well wishes.

#6 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

Do you have or have you taken the time to RTM??

#7 MorningStarSound

MorningStarSound
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:39 PM

I can only assume that means read the manual. Yes I have. Forward, backward, in between and I even tried to read the foreign languages. But alas, I got scared and frustrated and put the Crown XTi4000's back in the shipping boxes and I am sending them back. Too much for my brain to handle. I need to actually "see" someone or some company set a system up in bridged mono for both the tops and subs and get a feel for the proper connections. One of the largest shows of the year is tomorrow night (NYE) and I've racked my brain way too long for this. It wasn't any fun anymore. So the Peavey GPS 3500's are back in the rack and I'm just going to run stereo as usual and will try this again maybe for Easter. They put out a respectable 775 watts per side at 8 ohms but fall short for the JBL SRX715 and SRX718 ratings. Guess I went too good on the cabs. Thanks for all your help on this subject and others.

#8 fud57

fud57

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

IF you bridge an amp, you cannot use it in stereo any longer, It is a mono amp at that point, so you cannot run the tops and subs off it at the same time or at least you should not:)

The amp should say that the DSP is off. I will work as just any ol power amp in that setup smile.gif  Page 22

The drawings in the manual are some of the best I have seen and it is clear you are frusterated,  take a breath and take one more swing at it,,  

Here is what I would do, go to page 13 of the manual and it will show u how to attach to the amp in bridge mono,  I would run your tops with the peavey amp in stereo, and run the subs off the XTI in bridge mono.

Go to page 24 to see what it says about bridged mono

all you need to do is follow the directions and set it up for that and your good to go.

I assume you already have a crossover?  

so you can just run from the xti. to the first sub and then to the second sub for this gig,  make the special cord for this gig and leave the amp in the state it comes out of the box,  it is just a amp like any other at that point,  attach your signal from the xover to the channel 1 input and let it rock.  The  most important thing for you to understand about the connections to the amp, is that Channel 1 is attached to the positive or +1 of the speakon and channel two is attached to the negative speaker cable or --2 of the speakon.

If you have a sumed output for lows use that one on the xover for the subs.

That will give you 3200 watts or 1600 per cabinet which should make them thumpa wumpa pretty good.

#9 Logruvz

Logruvz
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(fud57 @ Dec 31 2010, 11:59 AM) View Post
IF you bridge an amp, you cannot use it in stereo any longer, It is a mono amp at that point, so you cannot run the tops and subs off it at the same time or at least you should not:)

The amp should say that the DSP is off. I will work as just any ol power amp in that setup smile.gif  Page 22

The drawings in the manual are some of the best I have seen and it is clear you are frusterated,  take a breath and take one more swing at it,,  

Here is what I would do, go to page 13 of the manual and it will show u how to attach to the amp in bridge mono,  I would run your tops with the peavey amp in stereo, and run the subs off the XTI in bridge mono.

all you need to do is follow the directions and set it up for that and your good to go.

so you can just run from the xti. to the first sub and then to the second sub for this gig,  make the special cord for this gig and leave the amp in the state it comes out of the box,  it is just a amp like any other at that point,  attach your signal from the xover to the channel 1 input and let it rock.  The  most important thing for you to understand about the connections to the amp, is that Channel 1 is attached to the positive or +1 of the speakon and channel two is attached to the negative speaker cable or --2 of the speakon.

That will give you 3200 watts or 1600 per cabinet which should make them thumpa wumpa pretty good.

So do you do +1 +2 on both ends of the cable? or just the amp end?

#10 dakos

dakos

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE(Logruvz @ Apr 9 2012, 07:02 PM) View Post
QUOTE(fud57 @ Dec 31 2010, 11:59 AM) View Post

So do you do +1 +2 on both ends of the cable? or just the amp end?

Just the amp end