conflict between sys arch and bandmanager?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozob

ozob

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:35 PM

perhaps this is a better place for my question as general amplifier was not getting any where.

Hello all, finally got around to trying to use the DSP in my Xti 4000. Pretty sure I have the latest updates for all. Had a few glitches and am wondering if Band Manager and System Arch can get along on the same machine?

First strange thing was while in Band Manager the first time I looked at the EQ section - and it was the EQ display style / format from System Arch that showed up in Band Manager. It then disappeared by itself and never came back. The standard Band Manager style EQ sections now always show up.

Next I created a basic bi-amp preset. While trying it out Band Manager kept loosing the device (my Xti). The weird thing is it only happens when I proceed to crank up the volume - input and output to about -6, -4 or so, no clipping - 2 ohms per side - 18's on one side at 40hz to 100hz and 15/horns on the other at 100hz to 16khz (hey I want to see what she will do). At moderate volume everything is stable - I can edit parameters all day - pretty cool really - but when I push the amp - clicking any software buttons causes the Xti icon to vanish. Amp keeps working and playing the preset. Just have to search for the device again to edit further. But unless I turn it down (used front panel attenuators) the Xti icon will just vanish again. Tried rebooting - clearing cache - etc., no matter. Any ideas?

#2 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:25 AM

Band Manager & Sys Arch are OK on the same machine but should not be run simultaneously.

As for the XTi dropping offline, this condition is often a factor of the USB hub being used.  Make sure you are using a hub with its own wall wart supply.  Beyond that, try a different hub or port.

#3 ozob

ozob

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for reply.  I will try switching ports.  Right now I am connected directly out of one of my Think Pad r61 USB ports into the Xti.  Am I supposed to use a powered hub?  I have not seen any connectivity problems with any other devices so far - external hard drives, external burners, external sound cards, etc.

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

A power amp is pretty unique beast as far as USB nodes go -- higher current, more EMI, etc.

Before you go buy a separate hub (with its own DC supply), I would suggest experimenting with running the USB cable as far as possible away from the amp's AC and speaker cables.  Also, make sure your PC is plugged into the same circuit as your amp, or that their chassis grounds are somehow tied together.

If this doesn't work, a powered hub may be the best way to shore up the USB connection.