XTi 2000 help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Metal

Dr.Metal
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hey, I recently added two XTi 2000 to my rack. One of the amps seems to be working fine, and similar to my other XTi 4000 in the rack, however one of the amps I'm having trouble with.

First off it is making a very annoying tone, to which I matched to about 1400hz. It is very faint, almost unnoticeable in program, but it worries me. It is mostly constant, but has faded away for short (2-3sec) periods, and then faded back in. This happens with or without any input connected, and happens in both channels. When the amp is shut off, the tone will sweep down slightly before I can hear the amp cut it off.

This second problem I've been having (with the same amp) is channel 1 will drop out. I will completely loose volume in the channel. I then figured out that if I pushed the channel (increased the volume so that the output meters in SA were at half), that it would cut back in, and work fine for awhile. I also noticed that the pink noise generator would output fine on bad channel (input program would not work, but pink noise would in bad channel), and that if the input mode to link, that channel 2 would act the same and not output power.

I have connected them to SA with no problems and have upgraded the firmware (made a big difference to pops and cracks on startup/shutdown with both amps). Program was very light music, as it was evening in my house, and pushing the amp was not an option.

All tests were done of a set of JRX125 4 ohm cabinets, amp in stereo.

What should I do next? I purchased these amps used from the US (I'm in St. John's, NL, Canada). They should still be under the 3 year transferable warranty still, correct?

#2 Dr.Metal

Dr.Metal
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

Ok, I've removed the top on the problem amp (and all my other XTi as well), and reseated the cable. And everything looks fine on the inside, no burnt or bad traces/connections or any noticeable problem spots. And had the amps running for 24 hours, without a dropped channel. However that one XTi 2000 is still putting out that noise. It is very faint, something similar to the hiss from the horn, and only starts after about an hour from a fresh cold start. I thought reseating the cable had fixed it, as it wasn't there right away, but came in about an hour later. So maybe it has to do with the amp being warm?

Is this normal, or have anyone had this trouble before? Other than this, the amp seems to be performing well. Maybe next I'm at them, I can try to switch faceplates of the two 2000's, and see if the problem goes with the faceplate or the amp guts. That way I can help define the problem. I did notice that these two used 2000's I got were manufactured on June 29/06, so I would imagine that they were one of the first to be produced.

I have also tried it on different yammie speakers, with the same noise present. Any help would be appreciated!

#3 aasystems

aasystems
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(Dr.Metal @ Mar 25 2009, 02:44 AM) View Post
Ok, I've removed the top on the problem amp (and all my other XTi as well), and reseated the cable. And everything looks fine on the inside, no burnt or bad traces/connections or any noticeable problem spots. And had the amps running for 24 hours, without a dropped channel. However that one XTi 2000 is still putting out that noise. It is very faint, something similar to the hiss from the horn, and only starts after about an hour from a fresh cold start. I thought reseating the cable had fixed it, as it wasn't there right away, but came in about an hour later. So maybe it has to do with the amp being warm?

Is this normal, or have anyone had this trouble before? Other than this, the amp seems to be performing well. Maybe next I'm at them, I can try to switch faceplates of the two 2000's, and see if the problem goes with the faceplate or the amp guts. That way I can help define the problem. I did notice that these two used 2000's I got were manufactured on June 29/06, so I would imagine that they were one of the first to be produced.

I have also tried it on different yammie speakers, with the same noise present. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

Check the ribbon cable from the main board to the front panel - it may have either come loose or is faulty and needs replacing. This should be a warranty issue, so contact who you bought the amplifier from and get it serviced. (It is always best to buy from a dealer in your own country rather than just going for the best price)
You are not alone with this problem, we have had a number of xti4000 amps that have started dropping out on one side, turn it off and back on and all is fine for a while.

Ade.

AA SYSTEMS

#4 rob098

rob098
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(aasystems @ Apr 3 2009, 03:44 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Dr.Metal @ Mar 25 2009, 02:44 AM) View Post

Hi,

Check the ribbon cable from the main board to the front panel - it may have either come loose or is faulty and needs replacing. This should be a warranty issue, so contact who you bought the amplifier from and get it serviced. (It is always best to buy from a dealer in your own country rather than just going for the best price)
You are not alone with this problem, we have had a number of xti4000 amps that have started dropping out on one side, turn it off and back on and all is fine for a while.

Ade.

AA SYSTEMS

Hi - Has anyone else got this problem. I have the exact same problem the O/P discribes (constant faint tone @ roughly 1khz)  on channel 2 of my xti4000.
Mine also sweeps down when the power is switched off.

Did you ever get this fixed? What was it?

Many thanks
Rob

#5 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

What is your serial#?  Has it ever been serviced?  It's possible it needs a new display board if it was manufatured in 2006.

#6 rob098

rob098
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(Kevin Heber @ Mar 2 2011, 04:13 PM) View Post
What is your serial#?  Has it ever been serviced?  It's possible it needs a new display board if it was manufatured in 2006.

Hi Kevin - thanks for getting back to me. My serial is 8001261683 I've had 3 (out of 4) of my front panels replaced by soundtech here in the UK to fix dropping out of audio issues about a year ago (so theres a 3 in 4 chance this has already been done!). If I did a bit of digging through emails I'd be able to work out for sure which amps have had the new front panels.

In the mean time I've been further investigating an noticed that the noise only starts happening when the powersupply temp reaches 45C or more. When you first switch the amp on the probelm isn't there and it takes maybe 1-2 hours for the faint 1K tone to appear.

If I then take the amp out of flightcase and remove the lid and blow gently on the power supply area, I see the PSU temp drop (on the front panel) and the tone fades away.

Does this give any more clues?

Thanks
Rob

#7 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Yes, this sounds like you have some bleed-through of the SMPS into the audio.  Probably a leaky transistor or cap.  This is not a "known" problem or anything so I'd get it into service.