CE 1000 Fan getting stuck...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

My crown CE 1000 fan keeps getting stuck; it will work fine, then it will go to start up and will just sit and buzz, unless I give it a little push (I took off the plastic grill). Is this a simple fix, or does it need replaced? And if so can I do this myself?

#2 KGring

KGring

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:29 PM

It sounds like there might be a dead spot on the fan windings. The fan part number is 133551-1 and can be purchased from the Crown parts department at 1-800-342-6939
Kevin B. Gring
Crown Audio
kgring@crownintl.com

#3 rbyrne

rbyrne
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:22 AM

I had a similar problem with my XLS - there is a sticker holding the fan blade over the axel(?) - it broke down at a gig so the quick fix was to glue a hard piece of plastic in place of the the sticker that came loose.

Is this typical to use a sticker?  If so for this model, any plans to improve the fan construction?

Other than that I have to say its a great amp!

#4 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:59 PM

I have a technical question now. I called crown parts, and the fan is $50 or something. Since I can buy the same -exact- model number fan at a local parts distributor for NMB (the manufacturer of the fan) I would like to do that. It is only $17. My question is can I cut the plug off my old fan and resolder it to the new one that just has two bare wires? Will this work the same as the crown-made fan?

#5 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

One question, how old is the CE? If it is less than 3 years old, it would be covered by the 3 year warranty. Also the XLS would be covered. smile.gif
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#6 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Brad Benn @ May 2 2005, 06:32 AM)
One question, how old is the CE? If it is less than 3 years old, it would be covered by the 3 year warranty. Also the XLS would be covered. smile.gif
View Post

I don't think it is - I've had it for 2 years and I got it o Ebay ;-) So anyway, this would be the same fan, right?

#7 KGring

KGring

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:40 AM

You need to make sure the amperage rating of the new fan is not greater than the fan you are replacing or this can cause the internal fan circuit to overheat and fail.

QUOTE(CircuitMan @ May 6 2005, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE(Brad Benn @ May 2 2005, 06:32 AM)
View Post

I don't think it is - I've had it for 2 years and I got it o Ebay ;-) So anyway, this would be the same fan, right?
View Post

Kevin B. Gring
Crown Audio
kgring@crownintl.com

#8 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:04 AM

thanks for the tip. I was able to purchase the NMB 4715KL-05w-b40 fans (that's the oem part) on ebay - I had to buy 3, but they cost a total of $17 shipped, all brand new, and all I did was cut the connector off the old one. They work great. If anybody needs a fan give me a holler... :-)

#9 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

Well, strange thing, the new fan got stuck today. I unjammed it with a butter knife and it's fine, but why did that happen?

#10 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(CircuitMan @ May 23 2005, 06:50 PM)
Well, strange thing, the new fan got stuck today. I unjammed it with a butter knife and it's fine, but why did that happen?
View Post

Can't say for sure untill it's can be bench tested. But you have two others.  biggrin.gif

#11 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ May 24 2005, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE(CircuitMan @ May 23 2005, 06:50 PM)
View Post

Can't say for sure untill it's can be bench tested. But you have two others.  biggrin.gif
View Post

Alright, thanks! It hasn't happened again, anyways (knock on wood)...

#12 CircuitMan

CircuitMan
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

Well, I'm having this problem again, but now the fan has stopped completely, and despite any help it wont start again. I've tested the fan and it's fine, starts every time from a 12v power supply. When the amp gets warm (just sitting on the bench, a situation where the fan would normally kick on for 30 seconds or so) the fan output tests only half a volt, so it looks like the problem is with the fan output. What now?