• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CharlieE

CharlieE
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hi All,
I have a problem that I hope ya'll can help me with.  I am miking a city council chamber, and they often have 'round table' meetings where they set up temporary tables in the middle of the conference room, and conduct the meeting from there.  I need to mike that area, and amplify it, so that both those sitting the audience can hear, but also so that it can be recorded.

I have tried using desktop wireless microphones, but this involves too complicated a procedure for the normal crew that sets up these meetings.  Also, desktop wireless microphones are either very expensive, or have major reliability problems.  Since this is only an 8 foot ceiling height, can I use one or two PZM10 mikes in the ceiling to record this set up?

More details.  The room is about 60 feet by 50 feet, with ceiling mounted speakers in a roughly 10' by 12' pattern.  I can isolate the speakers directly above the tables, and adjust their settings (including volume and FBR) separately.  The conference table is about 20'x8' wide, and is located in the center of one half of the room.  I have a couple of extra channels on my SCM810 for the microphones.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Charlie

#2 MChapman

MChapman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

Charlie,

The PZM may be a good choice for the recording side of the meeting, but you also mentioned you want to "amplify it". This is where we can get into trouble with gain before feedback. The PZM mics pick up in a hemispherical pattern (from all directions off of the surface, in this case, the ceiling). This means it could pick up the amplified signal from a speaker louder than the actual signal from the person speaking. If you can control how much is amplifed into the room, then it may work. Using the microphone just for recording allows you to increase the gain to pick up the persons speaking, even if it adds room noise. Remember, that moving the mic to the ceiling will reduce the signal reaching the mic by many dB as opposed to the same mic sitting on the table an arms length away from the person speaking.

Please contact me here at Crown (800-342-6939 Ext 8202) if you want to talk specifics on this application.
<span style='color:blue'>J. Mark Chapman
Crown Application Support Technician</span>