USM 810 control polling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Terotec

Terotec
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 05:02 PM

Has anyone found a way to force the USM 810 to poll the status of the control port on power up?

I experienced difficulties resulting from a change of state happening to the control port inputs whilst the 810 has been powered down. This is particularly annoying in a conference room set up where microswitches monitoring the room divider state have been activated when the room has been out of use and the rack had been powered down, leading to a situation where the client was reporting that the system was faulty.
If using the control point to provide an emergency system this can lead to a non failsafe situation if a mute situation occurs during a power outage, on power restore the system will not be muted and could mask alarms.

As yet I have been unable to find an external circuit that would toggle the input ports on powerup, though I'm hoping a (near?) future software upgrade might provide a solution.

Any work arounds?

Graham

#2 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 04:57 PM

Graham-

I checked the code and it looks like upon powerup the USM-810 reads the locations of all of the controllers in the most recent firmware.

Version 1.10 of the firmware can be found under IQ Network Forum -> IQ Network Information -> Downloads -> Crown USM810 Download Utility, Crown USM810 firmware on this forum.
Hope that helps.

-=Brad
-=Brad

Bradford Benn
Business Development Manager - Crown International
http://www.crownaudio.com/

#3 T Harrison

T Harrison
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 05:48 AM

On a similar, but slightly different topic, I have experienced difficulties with what happens with control polling when changing presets. After changing presets, the 8810C recalls the value of the parameter stored in the preset, and disregards the control port value, until it next updated.

In my case, I have a remote potentiometer connected to analogue control port 1 acting as a volume control for a remote zone. What can happen is that volume pot is set by someone in the remote zone to minimum (off). Then a preset is recalled in the main zone of the system. It cross-fades to the new preset over 10 seconds and recalls a level of 0dB, which then disturbs the remote zone. This can confuse the users in the remote zone who don't understand why the volume has changed. Also, as soon as they move the volume fader slightly, the volume jumps back to the fader's position.

I can see that for some applications, you would want the preset's stored value to override the control port, however it would be helpful if there was the option (per individual control input), to ignore recalled preset's values.

Having used many different vendor's DSPs audio systems, they all vary on the flexibility and methods available of remote control implementation. The difficulty for a system's integrator is that it's impossible to simulate how the system will work conclusively, until you've installed it and programmed it, by which time its too late if it can't be made to behave as you require.

We looked at using scenes as an alternative, but found it to be impractical. Aside from the huge list of parameters that would need programming, changing scenes is instant; there is no ability to cross-fade between scenes - again another feature which could be helpful.

Hope this is useful user feedback. More feature requests for the melting pot...

#4 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the comments. I understand what you mean about the presets.
-=Brad

Bradford Benn

#5 Terotec

Terotec
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:24 AM

Hello again folks, Im again working on a project with multiple USM 810s.

Im sorry to report Brad that my problem still exists.

The firmware currently installed is V1.1 , but Im still experiencing a lack of polling on power up.

I have conceived a couple of  simple external timing circuits, that if powered from the same source as the 810 will wait until after bootup, then short the control line, open the control line and then finally connect the switch contact to be monitord.
This way way at least the 810 should be toggled and then see any changes of state that occured whilst it was powered down.

However this does not give a 'failsafe' mute option, if the connection after the bodge circuit, or the bodge circuit itself fails whilst the 810 is powered down, there is a potential for the system to still be unmuted on power up.

Graham Hall

#6 Bradford Benn

Bradford Benn

Power User

• Admin
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 09:38 AM

Graham-

Sorry to hear about the problems. I will see what I can dig into for this problem.

-=Brad
-=Brad

Bradford Benn

#7 Terotec

Terotec
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:52 PM

Thanks Brad, look forward to hearing from you.

(have about ten on this project and a similar amount on two previous projects that would benefit from a retro fix)

Graham

#8 Terotec

Terotec
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:16 AM

Once again on another almost identical project, this time was able to investigate further - when the USM 810 re-powers up the ports are indeed read and their state reflected on my laptop via the 232 link and IQ software, however the control commands that were programmed in are not acted upon at that stage. It takes a transition on the control port whilst the unit is fully operational to force those control commands, so my original problem remains.
I need a solution that will enable the USM810 to implement the contol comands associated with the control port, such that it will action any changes in the state of the control port inputs that occured whist the unit was in a non powered state.