Sub Networks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JKviper

JKviper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

Hey guys I work and a Church in the Palm Springs area and I was wondering how to go about creating a sub network for my I-Tech amps and the computers designated to control them.  We are currently running out of IP addresses but also I want to keep the network more separate but not completely separated. I only have two amps and one computer for now but that might change in a big way in a year or two so I wanted to try to work out the logistics before I get more of these amps.   I love these I-T4000s, they make the EAW JFX 260s and SBX 220s in our alternative worship service sing.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:47 AM

I would recommend you place a network router between the audio network and the house network. This will separate the two networks and allow you to use your own IP address scheme so you can expand. By adding the router's Gateway IP address to the IQ components address page and the router's other Gateway IP address, connected to the house network, into the IQwic's network setup page you will still be able to connect to the IQ components from anywhere on the house network. See the example diagram attached.

Attached Files

#3 JKviper

JKviper
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Feb 2 2005, 10:47 AM)
I would recommend you place a network router between the audio network and the house network. This will separate the two networks and allow you to use your own IP address scheme so you can expand. By adding the router's Gateway IP address to the IQ components address page and the router's other Gateway IP address, connected to the house network, into the IQwic's network setup page you will still be able to connect to the IQ components from anywhere on the house network. See the example diagram attached.
View Post

Sounds great... can I also do the same thing with a wireless router?

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:45 PM

The answer is Yes, but I should clarify a little. Most of the "wireless routers" you can buy off the shelf at the local office supply or electronics retailer are actually three devices in one. They are a Wireless Access Point (WAP), a Network Switch and a Network Router. The WAP is basically plugged into one of the switch ports and the switch is plugged into the router.
The diagram I previously sent showed a separate WAP on the house network, which will work and allow you to run any other application needed without reconfiguration of your standard house network configurations on the computer.

However, you could use a "wireless router" in place of a straight router and have the wireless computer on the IQ component network . The LAN connector of the “wireless router would go to the house network and be given an IP address to match up with the house network. The switch side would be given an IP address to go along with the IQ component network. The IQ components would then plug into the switch ports of the “wireless router” and the computer given an IP address in the IQ component network IP range. Whew…. That’s a mouth full. Pictures are worth a thousand words so take a look at the next two diagrams.

Attached File  Post2.jpg   57.28K   294 downloads

Attached Files