• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DenyseB

DenyseB
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hello All,

I've recently taken on a job where they have installed a Crown USM 810, a Crown CL2 and a CL4 pushing a nice pair of biamp-able Community speaker cabinets.  I have no doubts that this system is very powerful and more than I need in a middle school auditorium.  Problem is the previous engineer did some funky rigging while incorporating an odd Bogen VAR-1 (voice activated relay) system, and possibly sabotaged the system.  After untangling the mess in the back of the rack, I've figured how the thing is wired but, the system sounds pretty bad.  All mids and no bottom or top.  I need a little education on the USM 810 unit, what it does, how to program it, and why it's even in this particular system.  I think it may a be a bit of overkill, but I'll never know how this thing sounds and what it's capable of if I don't hook it up properly.

Anyone got a good knowledge of the USM 810?  Can I pick your brain?

Thanks

DB

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

Very basically.....the USM-810 is an 8 in 10 out signal processor with input ducking priority and filters, there is a mixer/matrix router and the output section will do filters and auto leveling.
Each input is split into two proceccing chains the A and the B. Each processing chain then goes through it's own input processing section then onto the Mixer/Router where each input can be mixed and sent to any of the 10 outputs. Each of the 10 output has it's own processing.

You will need the "IQ for Windows 5.12" software (free for download from the download section of this forum) and a serial cable to the computer. After the device appears in the software double click on it and click on the yellow bar to open into the TAB windows. Each of the Tab windows has a different function of the device. The "Signal Path" tab will show you the flow threw the device. If any of the boxes are white then something has been turned on or engaged in the processing block. Double Clicking on any of the boxes will open that processing section.

http://www.crownaudio.com/gen_htm/legacy/legaciq.htm

#3 DenyseB

DenyseB
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thanks DGlass,

I've downloaded the iq5.12 software and successfully installed it. I've gotten a seriel cable with a Belkin F5U409 USB to seriel adapter.  Now I'm having problems communicting with the USM 810.  I highly suspect the USB to Seriel adapter, but I have no concrete evidence to that effect.  The iq software simply doesn't find any hardware.  Am I barking up the right tree here? Should I look for another way to connect to the USM 810?  My PC has no seriel ports.  Any thoughts? I'm just about ready to smash the living *beep* out of this unit and put me out of my misery.

DenyseB in high PMS

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(DenyseB @ Mar 18 2008, 02:04 PM) View Post
Thanks DGlass,

I've downloaded the iq5.12 software and successfully installed it. I've gotten a seriel cable with a Belkin F5U409 USB to seriel adapter.  Now I'm having problems communicting with the USM 810.  I highly suspect the USB to Seriel adapter, but I have no concrete evidence to that effect.  The iq software simply doesn't find any hardware.  Am I barking up the right tree here? Should I look for another way to connect to the USM 810?  My PC has no seriel ports.  Any thoughts? I'm just about ready to smash the living *beep* out of this unit and put me out of my misery.

DenyseB in high PMS

A couple of things amke sure you have a "modem" serial cable that is wired straight thru pin to pin not a null-modem cable. A nul-modem cable has a couple of pins swapped.

If your computer does not have an RS-232 port than we recommend the use of a PCMCIA to RS-232 card like the SOCKET "Serial I/O PC Card". We don't generally recommend USB to serial adapters as we have seen some work better with some computers than others and it's hard to say which one will actually work on a particular computer.

What is the Roll Call/Component Discovery displaying?
Is the Roll Call jumping threw the four Comm Ports and going into the software Workplace screen?
Is the Roll Call jumping threw the avalable baud rates for one Comm Cort and saying that there is no interface found?
Or is it displaying a CTS low statement?
Is the Roll Call any different connected to the USM810 then when run not connected to the USM810?

#5 DenyseB

DenyseB
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 18 2008, 03:37 PM) View Post
Thanks DGlass,

DenyseB in high PMS

A couple of things amke sure you have a "modem" serial cable that is wired straight thru pin to pin not a null-modem cable. A nul-modem cable has a couple of pins swapped.

If your computer does not have an RS-232 port than we recommend the use of a PCMCIA to RS-232 card like the SOCKET "Serial I/O PC Card". We don't generally recommend USB to serial adapters as we have seen some work better with some computers than others and it's hard to say which one will actually work on a particular computer.

Is the Roll Call jumping threw the four Comm Ports and going into the software Workplace screen?
Is the Roll Call jumping threw the avalable baud rates for one Comm Cort and saying that there is no interface found?
Is the Roll Call any different connected to the USM810 then when run not connected to the USM810?

Hi and Thanks again DGlass,
I'll test the cable to see if it is going pin to pin of if some are crossed.  
The Roll Call is attempting to connect on Comm3.  It searches and goes into the workplace screen only after it says it has finished a "roll call" and nothing shows up in the Roll Call window.  It never says no interface found, it just comes up with nothing and says "finished".
I saw nothing about a CTS low statement.
There is no difference in the Roll Call scan and/or results whether my computer connected to the USM810 or not.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

DenyseB

#6 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(DenyseB @ Mar 18 2008, 05:29 PM) View Post
QUOTE(DGlass @ Mar 18 2008, 03:37 PM) View Post
Thanks DGlass,

DenyseB in high PMS

Hi and Thanks again DGlass,
I'll test the cable to see if it is going pin to pin of if some are crossed.  
The Roll Call is attempting to connect on Comm3.  It searches and goes into the workplace screen only after it says it has finished a "roll call" and nothing shows up in the Roll Call window.  It never says no interface found, it just comes up with nothing and says "finished".
I saw nothing about a CTS low statement.
There is no difference in the Roll Call scan and/or results whether my computer connected to the USM810 or not.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

DenyseB

Does your computer have a fixed Serial Port or are you using an adapter to get a Serial Port?

When you see this happen usually the computer and the device have not established communications through the RS-232 port. This could be adapter related, cable related or something on the computer already has control of the RS-232 Comm. Port.

On the computer it could be something like an active sync program for a Pocket PC/Palm Pilot, a fax modem program, or that the IQNET Server program was started and is running in the back ground. If any of these are running they will take over the Serial Port.

Some USB Adapters will try to use a Comm Port higher than 4 and our program will only search Comm. Ports 1 to 4. While some of these adapters have setup programs that will allow you to change its Comm. Port number you must be careful to not use a Comm. Port number that the computer may already be using.