7 replies to this topic

#1 whoaru99

whoaru99

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

Besides the color of the cases, what are the differences between the earlier gray CE4000s and the later black CE4000s?

Also, why was the color changed?

Thanks.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE(whoaru99 @ Jan 8 2008, 12:15 AM) View Post
Besides the color of the cases, what are the differences between the earlier gray CE4000s and the later black CE4000s?

Thanks.

Over time there were some minor changes related to components and some small circuit board layout changes. Otherwise they are the same amps circuitly.

#3 whoaru99

whoaru99

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jan 9 2008, 08:28 AM) View Post

Thanks.

Over time there were some minor changes related to components and some small circuit board layout changes. Otherwise they are the same amps circuitly.

The gray CE4000 always seems to run a little warmer than the black CE4000. Is this normal?

Each CE4000 runs bridged into a JBL SR-4719X sub. Even though the amps and subs are running mono, I've swapped the amp connections to the sub cabs just to be sure and the gray still runs a bit warmer. Just wondering if the changes in circuitry between the gray and black explain this?

#4 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(whoaru99 @ Feb 6 2008, 11:38 PM) View Post

Thanks.

The gray CE4000 always seems to run a little warmer than the black CE4000. Is this normal?

Each CE4000 runs bridged into a JBL SR-4719X sub. Even though the amps and subs are running mono, I've swapped the amp connections to the sub cabs just to be sure and the gray still runs a bit warmer. Just wondering if the changes in circuitry between the gray and black explain this?

Although a few degrees of differences would be expected between any pair of amplifiers, because of component tolerences, there shouldn't be that much of a change to say this one runs a lot "hotter" than this one.

Are you thinking that the one runs hotter because the fan runs more? or does it actually feel hotter? The fan on the one could just be coming on more often due to component tolerences between the sensors in it - verses the sensors in the other.

It could also be related to age of components, dust, rack location or even the overlap underlap adjustment (must be adjusted by a qualified service technician) being slightly off. All could make the amplifier run warmer than a newer one.

The color was only changed for marketing reasons not for anything else.  biggrin.gif
Remember saying "You can have it in any color you want as long as it is black". biggrin.gif

#5 whoaru99

whoaru99

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Feb 12 2008, 12:16 PM) View Post
QUOTE(whoaru99 @ Feb 6 2008, 11:38 PM) View Post

Thanks.

Although a few degrees of differences would be expected between any pair of amplifiers, because of component tolerences, there shouldn't be that much of a change to say this one runs a lot "hotter" than this one.

Are you thinking that the one runs hotter because the fan runs more? or does it actually feel hotter? The fan on the one could just be coming on more often due to component tolerences between the sensors in it - verses the sensors in the other.

It could also be related to age of components, dust, rack location or even the overlap underlap adjustment (must be adjusted by a qualified service technician) being slightly off. All could make the amplifier run warmer than a newer one.

The color was only changed for marketing reasons not for anything else.  biggrin.gif
Remember saying "You can have it in any color you want as long as it is black". biggrin.gif

The fans in both amps seem to run the same, as best I can tell just by sound.

I wouldn't say hotter, that's a bit too strong. But, the air blowing from the grey amp is slighly warmer than the air from the black amp when both are running under the same conditions. The two amps are sitting side by side on stands so neither is racked above or below the other.

I'll probably just open it up and be sure it's clean. That's probably all it is because it seems to work and sound just fine.

#6 wylde007

wylde007

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(whoaru99 @ Feb 13 2008, 09:34 PM) View Post
I'll probably just open it up and be sure it's clean. That's probably all it is because it seems to work and sound just fine.
Every club and "engineer" I consult with I tell the same thing: keep your rig clean.

Particularly if your gear is set up in a smokey bar and only moderately ventilated.

Dust and crud can build up over time, sure... it's the nicotine in cigarette smoke that's the worst, IMHO.  It's got that "sticky" quality to it that attracts dust particles and causes them to grab on to cooling fins and the fan blades.

I open up my amp chassis every 6 to 8 months and blow them out with compressed air.  Any surfaces I can easily reach (read: without dismantling internal components) I wipe off with a moist paper towl.  Those "grab-it" mitts work well, too.  Let it be for a few minutes and close it back up.
Visit VB Live Sound for your next Hampton Roads Event!

#7 decibec

decibec
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hi,

I would like to know if the gray and black Ce 4000 has the same power rating and damping factor.

#8 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(decibec @ Mar 11 2008, 10:27 PM) View Post
Hi,

I would like to know if the gray and black Ce 4000 has the same power rating and damping factor.

They are the same amp except for a few updates and manufacturing changes.