Amcron Crown IC150A preamp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tackler

Tackler
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:10 AM

I have been offered an Amcron Crown IC150A preamp dating from the 70's.

Is it still a worthwhile project?

Back then I was far too poor to afford such expensive high-end equipment.

But is it still worth lusting after? Isn't a pretty average modern 21st century ordinary Japanese transistor pre-amp a better proposition than an Amcron Crown IC150A from the early seventies?

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

The IC 150A is still a much sought after preamp, by many, and if it is still in working condition would be a great item. It should be noted however that there are a few parts that are no longer available from the manufactures. So if there is something wrong with it the unit may or may not be repairable.

#3 dsrance

dsrance
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Dec 21 2007, 03:25 PM)  
The IC 150A is still a much sought after preamp, by many, and if it is still in working condition would be a great item. It should be noted however that there are a few parts that are no longer available from the manufactures. So if there is something wrong with it the unit may or may not be repairable.

A very late reply/addition to this, but which parts are not available now, apart from the usual case bits that were probably "specials" for this model?

I've inherited an IC150 which a late friend used since bought new in the mid seventies. It's in very fair condition, although the volume pot is now U/S, mainly due to clumsiness on my part  mad.gif  Is this item still available (I hope so), as it appears to be a non standard part (400K Log with extra taps for the "loudness" function)?

When used as per instructions with my now serviced and still great D-60's and with volume turned well up (75%) and overall gain adjusted on the power amps, I was well impressed with the sonics when I had it working, although I did notice an excessive "crispness" with volume turned down and power amp gain turned up, as I suspect many others have done, judging by the negative comments read elsewhere on the web. if the original part is no longer available, might it be possible to obtain a 500K stepped atenuator for volume duties (I think DACT make one for not too much money) and maybe hard wire some resistors in the "loudness" terminals to simulate a fixed curve when this button is depressed? I'd like to keep all funtions reasonably intact if possible.

Living in the UK, these preamps are pretty rare and usually working. Obtaining a unit for parts from the US is probably going to be hideously expensive once shipped over here. I've emailed the US parts dept but haven't as yet received a reply sad.gif

Hope someone somewhere can help with a working pot, used or otherwise.....