Can anyone recommend a mic for live gigs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djhombre

djhombre
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

Hi there,

I've recently bought a Korg MR-1 recorder which is excellent, it comes bundled with a tiny CM-2M stereo electret condenser mic, which is a pretty good all-rounder...

however, I want to record my wife's band (Amy Blue) at their gigs and sessions in an 'audio-archive' capacity.  At the moment the tiny mic handles most of the sound, however it is susceptible to distortion at the higher ends at volume.  

Does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative microphone I could use?

I've managed to get the following information about the CM-2M mic;

Element: Condenser, electret
Polar Pattern: Stereo, directional
Frequency Response: 100 -12,000Hz (12kHz)
Sensitivity: 58dB +/-3dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
Impedance: 680 Ohms
Cable Length: 3.28 feet
Weight: 1.76 ounces with cable
+3V phantom power

The MR-1 allows you to record via 2 mini stereo phone in plugs, these can be set to power the mic (+3v) or line.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Hombre

#2 brubart

brubart

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi Hombre,

First, try setting your Korg MR-1 inputs to LINE rather than MIC. Leave the plug-in power ON so the mic will work.

When a mic picks up loud music, it can put out a line-level signal. So setting the input connectors to LINE should result in less distortion. I'm assuming that the mic itself is not distorting, but I don't know for sure.

If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll look into some other solutions.

brubart

#3 djhombre

djhombre
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi there brubart,

Switching the inputs from mic to line certainly did the trick...all recordings of the band have been crystal clear!  The band are all very impressed...they end up hearing much more afterwards from the recording than when the do on stage!

Thanks again,

Hombre