XLS 402 - 2 Ohm Load

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David P

David P
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

I am looking at an XLS-402 to drive 4 speakers.  That's not really an issue.  The problem I'm having is that I am going to send a mono signal into the amp, then make Channel 1 into Zone 1, and Channel 2 into Zone 2.

Zone 1 will have (2) 4 Ohm speakers
Zone 2 will have (2) 8 Ohm speakers

If I run both sets in Parallel, I will have a 2 Ohm Load on Channel 1 and a 4 Ohm Load on Channel 2.  What will the power output of the 2 ohm load be, on Channel 1, so that I can throttle the max output of Channel 1 as to not blow out the speakers (Peavey Impulse 652S).

I think my only other option is to wire Channel 1 in Series to make it an 8 Ohm load (ok something I've never done before).  So Channel 1 would then be 8 Ohm, and Channel 2 would be 4 Ohms.

I hope that's clear.

Thanks,

David

#2 Jon

Jon
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

i saw your question wasnt answered, so ill answer it for you--

the xls 402 is 300 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
450 watts per channel @ 4 ohms
570 watts per channel @ 2 ohms
900 watts bridged @ 8 ohms
1140 watts bridged @ 4 ohms

#3 wengland

wengland
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Is it safe to run the 402 at a 2ohm load?  Any of the specs you get from Crown doesn't even show wattage for 2ohm so I didn't know if it was really recommended.  I'll be running a dual cab with a 4ohm rating daisy chained to a single cab with an 8ohm rating.  That puts my total at 2.67ohms, but I didn't know if the amp would handle it.  I had thought about putting the duals in series rather than parallel so as to bring it up to a 4ohm total, but if the amp will handle it I won't bother.  Let me know what you think.

#4 Kevin Heber

Kevin Heber

Power User

• Crown Staff
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

It's not recommended to run the old XLS series at 2-ohm or 4-ohm bridged.  They tend to overheat and shut down.

#5 wengland

wengland
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

How about the new "D" series?  Do they have any more protection against overheating?

#6 Stephane

Stephane

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(wengland @ Oct 22 2011, 02:32 PM) View Post
How about the new "D" series?  Do they have any more protection against overheating?

Yes they shut down when over heating, never a good idea to run an amplifier to its minimum impedance run it @ 4 ohms and get a second one, those amps a so cheap to get, plus you do have a spare if one go boom so the show can go on.