#1 helicool

helicool

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:34 AM

Hello -

I, not being an IT guy but liking the cool toys, "discovered" that, in theory, using a HP4150 Ipaq Wireless Handheld Divice and a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router/Switch(hidden in the amp rack)  that I could, in theory.... wirelessly control a rack of I-Tech amps.

What I'm wondering is.... Is this really possible? If so, I'd like to give it a shot!

Thanks!

#2 Chris

Chris
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:12 AM

I've been wanting to try this myself but haven't gotten to it yet.

In the newer versions of IQwiq there is support for Pocket PC devices and there's a complementary software called Pocket IQ.

I understand there's some restrictions which devices are supported, and only Pocket PC 2002 should be used. Perhaps someone else can fill in the details.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Chris  smile.gif

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:44 AM

Yes, it is possible we have several people out there that have done it.

You will need the Pocket IQ software available for download from this Forum as a well as a Network wireless Router.

We have tested two wireless router products. This does not in anyway indicate an endorsement or a preference, just that they have been tested.

In order to use wireless Ethernet to control a TCP/IQ system, the computer (or Pocket PC device) must be separated from the TCP/IQ network using a router. This is especially true if Cobranet traffic is present on the TCP/IQ network, as the 100 Mbps audio traffic will swamp the much slower wireless node.

We have successfully tested the following router/access points with a small TCP/IQ system:
Linksys WRT54G w/firmware v1.30.7
D-Link DI-624 w/firmware v1.12

It is highly recommended that you upgrade the Router firmware to at least the above version (preferably the most recent).

Both of these routers are part of the latest generation of router/access points that support the 802.11g wireless standard and have a 10/100 Mbps auto-sensing port on the WAN side of the router.

#4 MKellom

MKellom
  • Crown Staff
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:27 PM

Another option that is somewhat easier to configure (but less portable) is a tablet PC with wireless network access. In this case you can simply run IQWic under windows and adjust IQ system settings from anywhere. Obviously it's not quite so easy to put a tablet PC in your pocket...

Also on the "cool gadget" topic - you can monitor I-Techs (or any IQNet component) across any standard IP network. We have already monitored I-Techs in Germany from our factory here in Elkhart!

Marc

#5 vsop

vsop
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(DGlass @ Jul 12 2004, 11:44 AM)
Yes, it is possible we have several people out there that have done it.

You will need the Pocket IQ software available for download from this Forum as a well as a Network wireless Router.

We have tested two wireless router products. This does not in anyway indicate an endorsement or a preference, just that they have been tested.

In order to use wireless Ethernet to control a TCP/IQ system, the computer (or Pocket PC device) must be separated from the TCP/IQ network using a router. This is especially true if Cobranet traffic is present on the TCP/IQ network, as the 100 Mbps audio traffic will swamp the much slower wireless node.

We have successfully tested the following router/access points with a small TCP/IQ system:
Linksys WRT54G w/firmware v1.30.7
D-Link DI-624 w/firmware v1.12

It is highly recommended that you upgrade the Router firmware to at least the above version (preferably the most recent).

Both of these routers are part of the latest generation of router/access points that support the 802.11g wireless standard and have a 10/100 Mbps auto-sensing port on the WAN side of the router.
View Post

Unless the Cobranet traffic is Broadcast traffic you would not require a router to seperate the wireless device from the network.  An reall AP should only be sending unicast packets out over the WIFI interface if it has the mac address of the destination in its table.  APs work like a switch/bridge at layer 2 when it comes to fowarding traffic over the wireless network.  (and if you have a switched network, which everyone should have if they are pushing audio realtime over a network, you would not have to worry since the switch will not send the traffic over the interface port that the wifi ap is connected to.  

As far as broadcast traffic goes, yes you would need a layer 3 device to seperate that (unless you had an access list to limit traffic you don't want to go over the link)

I'm not sure how cobranet operates, but I figure it uses either unicast or multicast to send to multiple devices.

Also an option for those that are looking to do remote acces from a handheld, you can rdp (remote desktop) into the computer that has the software loaded from a PDA to have access to full features with out having to load it onto a PDA or laptop.  

Just my 2 cents