problem with IQ-DSP card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ablebakercharlie

ablebakercharlie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:14 AM

I have an older IQ-DSP card I purchased used.  It was sold as good, but turns out not to be....  

The Channel 2 odep on the amp is off.  IQ on the PC reports the amp at 100% thermal on channel 2 and about 80% on channel one.  Channel 2 passes no audio, just some digital sounding noise.  Channel one works, but of course the thermal limt and error reporting are useless.  Other functions on channel one all appear to be fine.  I can't tell on channel two as there's no output...

Amps this was tested in were a ComTech 200 and a Macro Tech 600 and a Macro Tech 2400; all behaved the same.

Is there any reset procedure or calibration I can do before sending it in for service?  What kind of cost is there for service on such a unit - or should I just junk it due to cost....

Thanks,
Ed Walters
The Group LLC

#2 ablebakercharlie

ablebakercharlie
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:42 AM

OK, so If I could figure out how to delete the above post, I would.

After re-reading the manual and looking all over the unit for a cracked solder joint or some other mechanical flaw, I noticed that the thing had resistor sips plugged into it, even though it is a pip, not pip2 unit, in its original (serial numbers match) box, also labeled pip, not pip2 on the work order sticker.  Since it was supposed to be a pip unit I never checked for this issue.  Removing the sips, reverting it to pip operation, and it seems to work fine.

I guess that leads to two nuggets of advice:
  RTFM!
and
  never ASSume anything is as it seems..........

Ed

#3 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:26 PM

For those who don't know what Ed is refereing to the IQ PIP-DSP could be set up for both the older PIP standard, which used an edge card connector, or with the  PIP-2 adapter in a PIP2 amplifier that uses two ribbon connectors. Because the PIP2 PIP cards setup the scaling factors for the metering automatical the DSP module had to be told it was in a PIP2 amplifier. This was done by installing two SIPP resistor packs and moving two jumpers to the Out Position. If these were set wrong for the PIP type of the amplifier all sorts of strange and weird metering could occur one of these being false ODEP/Thermal readings.
With the DSP/MEM/SMT modules if they are in a  PIP 1 amplifier the SIPPs are out(uninstalled) and the Jumpers are in the IN popsition. If your PIP 2 the SIPPs are installed and the Jumpers are set to the OUT position.