• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CHS

CHS
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hello,
I am a sound tech for my school, CHS. We currently are preforming The Sound Of Music, and we are having some issues. First off, we need more wireless microphones, but apparently we have run out of frequency space, and we will start to have interference if we have many more microphones, at least according to the person who installed our last wireless tower. We have 3 other places around the school that use mics besides our stage, but none would be turned on during our show. Does any1 have any suggestions on how we could add more microphones, with out interference from other mics, frequency wise. (BTW we have 11 wire-less mikes currently).
My second question is in regards to condenser mikes. We need some condensers that will pick up the whole stage, such as if we have a chorus come in, we can just use one or 2 and pick them all up. Does any1 have any suggestions on what we should be using?
This all would be greatly appreciated, im a little stressed trying to figure out what im supposed to do, seeings how i dont understand all of the mumbo-jumbo, like dHz ext. Thats something i gotta pick up, but thats for later wink.gif

#2 MChapman

MChapman

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:08 AM

Well, I am by no means an expert in wireless frequency issues, but I do know that there are lots of options with wireless microphones using both VHF and UHF frequencies. The issue may be that the manufacturer of the particular wireless systems you are using can only operate X number of mics because of the design. In doing stage performances, particularly for high school or community theater, you generally only use wireless on the leads. The rest of the chorus and dialog is picked up by stage mics. I like to use a mix of Crown PCC-160's on the stage lip, and then Crown CM-31"s hanging from batons upstage. How many mics are needed depends on how the stage is being used. For full stage productions, I like 3 PCC-160's across the front and 3-6 CM-31's hanging over the upstage area, depending on set design and action blocking. I do not leave the mics up on the mixer all the time, but follow the action and use the bare minimum number of open mics to cover the action. This helps to dramatically increase gain before feedback of the sound system.
NOTE: The singers/actors must learn to "project", because we make microphones, not magic wands!! The mic can only pickup what it hears  smile.gif

If you have further questions, or want to discuss details of your application, please feel free to contact me at Crown via 1-800-342-6939 ext 8202, or email me at mchapman@crownintl.com
<span style='color:blue'>J. Mark Chapman
Crown Application Support Technician</span>

#3 fishel

fishel

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:41 AM

Wireless mics.  HMMMM.  Let's see.  

I remember a wise man once told me that there are about 4 things that can happen whenever a wireless mic is used and only one of them is good.

YOu have opened a huge can of worms but all I can say is come on in, the water's fine.

If you have modern wireless mics, I would get on the manufacturer's website for help.  If it's Shure, you can go to their frequency finder and they will tell you exactly how many systems you can have in one area.  Sennheiser has the same thing but I'm more familiar with Shure.  If you have Telex, I'm very sorry as configuring multiple Telex wireless mics is a pain in the rear and their website has no online frequency help.

Once you learn what you have and what it can do, then it's time to call a good rental company that specializes in wireless mics.  PUtting together systems that have 15 channels and up requires a skill set that is beyond describing in this forum.  Just rest assured that there are people who's sole profession is to coordinate wireless mic frequencies.   They can be invaluable and it will be expensive.  BUT, it will work.

As far as ambient mics go, I like the Audix M1290.  It has a great sound and rejects feedback very well.  The rule of thumb for ambient/choir mics is that they should be no closer than 8' apart.  And that is front and back.  Also, one row usually is better than multiple rows.  You will probably have to submix the ambient mics and run them through a Constant Q style 1/3rd octave EQ for feedback control.  The Rane GEQ60 is a good one to try.

Good Luck.

I just noticed that your original post was back in Feb.  I hope the show went well. smile.gif
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."--Jed Babbin