• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ckaiserca

ckaiserca
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:38 AM

My venue has a IQ System SMX-6.  My question is:

Will this unit only function with the old DOS "Legacy" software or can I use a newer windows based software to control it?

To the best of my knowledge, this unit has NEVER functioned.  We've never really needed it, but I figured that since I have some time on my hands I'd see about getting it up and running.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

#2 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:29 AM

The SMX-6 can be used in one of two ways with the IQ for Windows 5.12 software. The first way is one on one with your computer via the computers serial port and a Modem (Not a NULL MODEM) Cable.
The second way is using another device such as an IQ INT-2, INT-3 or a USM-810 as an Interface with the SMX-6 connected to an IQ Bus Loop.
After you start the software and the SMX-6 is found by the Roll Call/Component Discovery it should show up in the Workplace window. Double clicking on the SMX-6 graphic will open it's control panel for programming.

#3 ckaiserca

ckaiserca
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:38 PM

Thank you very much!  That was just the answer I was looking for.  Now to download the program and buy a cable. .  .

#4 ckaiserca

ckaiserca
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

I just pulled my SMX-6 out of the rack for the very first time in an effort to get it working.  Two things that I noticed right off.  It does not have a 9 pin RS232 Port.  It has a 25 Pin Port.  Will a 25>9 Pin adaptor work here?

Also, this unit has a small black switch located along with the address/baud rate switches.  I can't find any reference to this switch in any of the documentation.

The other thing was the units address was set to zero.  I'm guessing that the reason this little black box doesn't work is that it has NEVER been configured.  It was just thrown in the rack and that was it.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

#5 DGlass

DGlass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:33 PM

The older SMX-6 units did use a 25 pin connector. A 25 to 9 pin adapter should work fine for the conversion.

On the older units this switch was for selecting COM Standards. When slid towards the left it selected RS-422 for MAC computers and when slid to the right it selected RS-232 for IBM PC compatables.

Yes, at one time we did support MACs with their own version of software and their choice of Com Standard.
(For those saying "O'boy, I want a copy of that". Sorry guys that was a long time ago and it wouldn't support any of the new products anyway).

You are correct the device does need an address. You can select anything from 1-250. 251-155 were reserved. Without a valid address you wouldn't be able to communicate with it.

#6 ckaiserca

ckaiserca
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 02:37 PM

Well, after sitting in the rack never used in more than 8 years, the SMX-6 in our control room is up and working.  I downloaded the IQ for Windows program from home, loaded it onto my laptop, bought a 25 pin to 9 pin adaptor, and everything worked out just fine.

This unit might be just the thing for channels that need gates and compression while I wait for the audio equipment bits that are out for my venue to come in.

I'm thinking that it might be good for a six microphone drum sub mix or something. . .

Anyway, thanks for all your help with this issue.  If I had known how easy it would be, I would have got this unit working long ago!